Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've got Suse 9.1 personal and I'm looking for a cheap eathernet broadband router so I can go on broadband. My netgear router which recently packed up didn't work ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Broadband routers

Hi,

I've got Suse 9.1 personal and I'm looking for a cheap eathernet broadband router so I can go on broadband. My netgear router which recently packed up didn't work in linux since it needed drivers for it which i couldn't obtain.

I'd be greatfull if you could could tell me of cheap broadband routers that i can get in the UK,

thanks

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Newbie
    personally i use an old PC for my router/firewall, but looking on netgears site there is a 4 port router which is linux compatible

Just Joined!
    Have a look at IPCop 1.4.0 on www.ipcop.org.
    HTH
    Col

Dlinks DI-604 is quite nice, my experiance with it is that it's easy configured, and as it's web based it works with any OS that got a descent browser (uhm, well, it works for Windows and IE too... :P)
    it's a 4 port + 1 WAN, all ports auto negotiate, so cascading it with switches with that ever cable shouldn't be any problems (I've ran one with a switch plugged in after, works fine. Also, upplinking it to a rouserswitch works fine)

[edit]this is a networking question, it should be in the Linux Networking subforum s it's not SuSE specific. (thread moved)[/edit]
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Thank you all for replying, and I will be looking into the D-Link one some more, I look forward to getting linux online.

Thanks
    dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Going back to the original post I must rant. In my experience, there is no possible way for a router to have "compatibility issues." Routers are self-contained, running their own (usually Linux-based) software from a Flash chip (or other form of not-volatile storag). I've used Netgear, Linksys and D-Link - they all have HTTP daemons for configuration.

So if I'm wrong, please tell me how a router can be "incompatible" with Linux. Else, save yourself some $$$ and use the Netgear that you have.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    i'm drunk but i must agree with sarumont. there is no way for a router to be "incompatable" with linux. a device such as a router simply routes packets... i think you may need to read your user manual a bit more...

:>

The netgear's broke, and I just wanted to make sure that I would get a new router that would work with linux.
    Thanks for all your help;
    dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2