Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I'm using PCLinuxOS. I have a local network at home, and another network with an AP which is configured for internet access. I can connect to both AP's wireless ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

using wired ethernet and wireless at same time to connect to different networks...

Hi!

I'm using PCLinuxOS. I have a local network at home, and another network with an AP which is configured for internet access.

I can connect to both AP's wireless or with UTP cable withouth problems.

But I need to be able to connect wired with the local network and wireless with the AP (which is configure for internet) at the same time. When I do this, my PCLinuxOS network manager indicates that both connections are up and running, but I can't browse the internet unless I disconnect my wired connection with the local netwerk AND I can't connect to my local network unless I disconnect my wireless connection with the AP configured for the internet.

Any suggestions about how I can solve this would be much appreciated!

Waht is the default gateway when both interfaces are up?
    Could be that your default gw is pointing to the LAN and not the WAN.
    Check with 'route -n'

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    as i said, they work fine when they're not up simultanously, so there's nothing wrong with the default gateways

This is where you are greatly mistaking. Just because everything works when you connect then one at a ime doesn't mean that the problem is not your Default GW. Food for thought.

When you boot your system eth0 is first to be started. This sets the routing up and also your default GW. Then your wlan0 is activated. It too tries to setup routing but it cannot setup the default GW because it is already set.

Now your system know how to get to the next hop on both interfaces. But your system doesn't know how to get to anything else. This is where the default GW comes into play. Your system send anything it doesn't know how to get to via the GW.

Since eth0 set itself up as the default GW everything that your system doesn't know how to get to is sent to eth0 which eth0 doesn't know how or where to send them so the packets die. You system is not going to know about internet ip addresses unless you manually set them up in the routing table and this is more or less what the GW is for so you don't have to set up every ip address you think you will need to connect to.

After everything is up and running you should check your routing table to see if this is in fact the issue.

Regards
    Robert

Linux

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    Waht is the default gateway when both interfaces are up?
    Could be that your default gw is pointing to the LAN and not the WAN.
    Check with 'route -n'
    I added the default gateway for the access point with WAN access. I can use both connections at the same time now without problems.
    However, every time I reconnect to the network, I need to add the default gateway again in order to be able to connect to the internet. Is there a way to store this, so I don't need to enter it again every time?

You could just edit your LAN config and change the GW to that of the WAN.

Regards
    Robert

Linux

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    You could just edit your LAN config and change the GW to that of the WAN.
    that did the trick! thank you very much!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by eewoud View Post
    that did the trick! thank you very much!
    Dear Robert & eewoud,
    I am new to Linux and would like a step by step instruction to fix this problem.
    Once I connect to LAN, I am unable to use my Mobile Broadbend connection which is up and running.
    I would really appreciate if you could send me detailed instructions on how to fix this issue.

Regards,
    Surender

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nagarsurender View Post
    Dear Robert & eewoud,
    I am new to Linux and would like a step by step instruction to fix this problem.
    Once I connect to LAN, I am unable to use my Mobile Broadbend connection which is up and running.
    I would really appreciate if you could send me detailed instructions on how to fix this issue.

Regards,
    Surender
    hi,

just add the default gateway of the mobile broadband connection:
    "route add default gw 192.168.1.254 wlan0"
    replace 192.168.1.254 with your default gateway and wlan0 with the interface name of your mobile broadband connection

If you have the same problem again when you reconnect to the network, change the default gateway of your LAN to the default gateway of your mobile broadband. (you can do this using the gui)

regards
    Eewoud