Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I have a problem with server applications and ports. I can only use one public IP/port for different 2 server applications (one is a custom application and the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation One port mane services

Hi all,

I have a problem with server applications and ports. I can only use one public IP/port for different 2 server applications (one is a custom application and the other SSHD).
    My idea is to set 2 virtual ethernets and bind each one to a specific server application. On top of this I would need a mechanism to filter and reroute the incoming packets on real ethernet to the right virtual ethernet based on type of traffic. For instance all ssh goes to eth0:1 and the rest to eth0:2.
    How can I build such filter/reroute approach? Is it possible?

Thx.
    Luke

You can only have one app listing on a port at a time. When you start adding more apps listening on the same port (which I do not believe is possible) how do you plan on ensuring that the app that you want gets the connection before the other app picks it up? This is why different ports are used to ensure that the correct app gets the connection.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted