Find the answer to your Linux question:
Have picked up one of the USB key form factor Wireless 802.11b devices. Reading around, it seems like one of the similar devices uses an Atmel radio. However, trying the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Belkin F5D6051 USB Wireless Help

Have picked up one of the USB key form factor Wireless 802.11b devices. Reading around, it seems like one of the similar devices uses an Atmel radio. However, trying the Berlios.de Atmel driver hasn't worked.

So I then tried using the NDISwrapper tool that comes with Knoppix when you install it to HD (using the 2.4.27 kernel), but it doesn't seem to be able to run the driver either.

Anyone know what I'm missing, and how to fix it?

Thanks,
    Ewan

Just Joined!
    A bit of an update. The kind folks who develop the Atmel Driver at Berlios.de were able to help me determine that the Belkin F5D6051 actually uses the Zydas 1201 chip rather than the Atmel one.

Looking at the homepage for the driver for this chip (linux-lc100020.sourceforge.net), it appears that it might be possible to use the latest wlan-ng driver to run this, though I'm not clear whether I'm reading the information correctly or not.

As such, if you run a Debian distro, and have managed to get a device using this chip to run (preferably the Belkin), I'd love to hear how you did it. Of course I'd also be interested in knowing whether you are using a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel to determine which I want to use for this.

Thanks in advance.

Just Joined!
    If your device is a USB, i'd try linux-wlan.

I'm running Mandrake 10.1 with a 2.6 kernel. I can try to help you (i'm a linux beginner) but I can't guarrantee it'll work. My device is still having problems--it loses connection after a few minutes, but nobody want's to help me or others with the same problem, not just here, but in a majority of Linux forums.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    For posterity or anyone else dealing with this in the future:

Begin by making sure the device is unplugged, and leave it unplugged until directed below -

1) Goto linux-lc100020.sourceforge.net
    2) Use CVS to get the most recent copy of the ZD1201 driver (not the wlan-ng that is on the main DL)
    3) Get a 2.9 kernel
    4) Patch the 2.9 kernel using the 2.8.1 diff file from the ZD1201 driver directory
    5) Build the kernel
    6) Deploy the kernel
    7) Reboot
    Go to the directory with the ZD1201 driver
    9) If you are using the Belkin, make sure that the zd1201.c file has a USB ID for the Belkin (latest one is supposed to)
    10) run "make"
    11) run "make install"
    12) copy the zd1201.fw file to the directory your distribution uses for hotplug (/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware in many cases)
    13) Reboot
    14) Plug in the device
    15) dmesg should show it was recognized and loaded
    16) iwconfig and such to get things going

Just Joined!

2.8.1 diff file

I cannot locate 2.8.1 diff file under ZD1201 dolder, can someone help me about t his?
    thank you.

Just Joined!

2.8.1 diff file

I cannot locate 2.8.1 diff file under ZD1201 dolder, can someone help me about t his?
    thank you.

Just Joined!
    In the latest version of the driver the filename has been changed to:
    2.6.7-usb-broken-descriptor.diff

Note that recent 2.6.10-rc kernels should work with this device without patching, so don't patch if you're using 2.6.10-rc

---

More like this here