Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hope i worded that correctly.. basically the situation is this: i have a working samba share, it been working for some time...however when i hooked up a new router to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

router preventing samba share from reaching higher subnet

hope i worded that correctly..
    basically the situation is this:
    i have a working samba share, it been working for some time...however when i hooked up a new router to the old router, people connected to the first router cannot connect to my samba share.

here is a diagram:
    Code:
    (modem)---(10.0.0.1)-┐--(192.168.1.1)---(my computer with the sama share)
                         ├(friends computer)
                         └(other friends computer)
    no ones connected to 10.0.0.1 can't access my server at 192.168.1.100

is there a real need for 2 routers? You could try adding a route to the 192.168.1 subnet via 10.0.0.1 on the clients.

Just Joined!
    hm?
    the two routers issue is more or less geographical. i needed to connect my 2 friends computers, my computer, and sadly...their xbox 360 to the network...which happen to all be spread out as far as humanly possible from the router.
    as for adding a route to 192.168.1 subnet...im not sure how to do that (also note...im the only linux system here)

So you are all in the same location? Why not just use the 10.0.0.1 router for its switch ports instead of plugging into WAN? Or if you can afford it, a small 4 or 8 port switch is fairly cheap these days. Multiple subnets just gets overly complicated for home networking...

How are you connecting everything together? Are you connecting the WAN port of 192.168.1.1 to a normal port 10.0.0.1? If you are then you have to tell everyone to look for your share on the ip address that 10.0.0.1 has assigned to 192.168.1.1 router. Then on the 192.168.1.1 router you have to do port forwarding to to the address of the share.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Linux Newbie
    Can the machines on 10.0.0.x network ping the machine on 192.168.1.x network?

1. If no then you need to turn off the firewall on the 192.168.1.x router
    2. On the 10.0.0.x router (or each machine on the 10.0.0.x network) add a network route in the routing tables to give them access to the 192.168.1.x network.

eg. if the second router (192.168.1.1) has an ipaddres off 10.0.0.5 (on the 10.0.0.x network) then on a linux box (on the 10.0.0.x network) you would do something like

route add -net 192.168.1.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 10.0.0.5

If you can add a route to the 192.x.x.x network in first router (10.0.0.1), even better.
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Linux Newbie
    Just to clarify

Code:
                      10.0.0.1     10.0.0.5   192.168.1.1
    modem --- (   router#1   ) ------ (   router#2 )
                           |                   |
                           |                   |--- 192.168.1.20 (node_1)
                           |
                           |----- 10.0.0.10 (node_2)
                           |----- 10.0.0.11 (node_3)
    Either add a route in router#1 to the 192.168.1.x network (via router#2)
    or
    Add route to node_2 and node_3 to the 192.168.1.x network (via router#2)

Hope it makes sense

Linux Newbie
    forgot to add:

I would go with coopstah13 idea - far simpler than multiple subnets

Just Joined!
    im not all together sure what most of that means...wan is wireless isnt it? no one is connected via wireless...
    i may be confusing peple with the use of subnet...im not sure if that is the right word...
    but the connection is such that my friends are hooked into the router with the 10.0.0.1 address and the router I am hooked into has a 192.168.1.1 address, that router is connected such that the cord going from the first router is plugged into the internet port and i am hooked into port 1. the router itself i think was in gateway mode or something...i switched it to router mode and put the cord in port one (and myself in port 2) and this allowed samba to get through to the other people (who btw could not previously ping me but i could ping them...) however then port 80 was no longer routed so i couldnt get my webpage to show...
    i havent really fixed the problem i more or less just gave up on it...

Quote Originally Posted by the_ultimate_samurai View Post
    im not all together sure what most of that means...wan is wireless isnt it? no one is connected via wireless...
    WAN = Wide Area Network (i.e. the internet)
    LAN = Local Area Network (i.e. Home/office network)
    WLAN = Wire Network

i may be confusing peple with the use of subnet...im not sure if that is the right word...
    That is the correct word.

but the connection is such that my friends are hooked into the router with the 10.0.0.1 address and the router I am hooked into has a 192.168.1.1 address, that router is connected such that the cord going from the first router is plugged into the internet port and i am hooked into port 1.
    Ok. Are you using a cross-over cable to connect the 2 routers?

the router itself i think was in gateway mode or something...i switched it to router mode and put the cord in port one (and myself in port 2)
    We are talking about router 2 here I will assume.

and this allowed samba to get through to the other people (who btw could not previously ping me but i could ping them...)
    Most likely a firewall rule that was not allowing ping to your system.

however then port 80 was no longer routed so i couldnt get my webpage to show...
    i havent really fixed the problem i more or less just gave up on it...
    No! You cannot give up. This is how you learn something. Hack away at ti until you get it figured out.
    You will have a sense of accomplishment when you do fix it.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast