Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. Im trying to connect two networks together. Network A is using a cable modem to a router to several PCs. Network B is a cable modem to a PFSense ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Connecting Two Networks

Hi. Im trying to connect two networks together. Network A is using a cable modem to a router to several PCs. Network B is a cable modem to a PFSense firewall to a switch to several PCs.

In the past I've just connected the router to the switch and it "worked", as far as being able to see other computers on either network. This was only done for short periods of time.

The goal is for a long term setup. Im not trying to combine bandwidth from both modems, all I want is to be able to have computers from both networks see each other without running into DHCP, ARP, etc mixups.

On network A the PCs all have static IPs set on the machines.

On network B the PCs have static IPs set by the PfSense box through DHCP.

One possibility Ive thought of is to put another NIC in the PfSense box on network B, connect it to the router on network A, setup firewall permissions so only ports used by samba and windows file sharing are open in both directions, and some ports for gaming, etc. Then setup a static route on the PfSense box to allow them to reference each other.

Or just turn on RIP 1 or 2 on network A's router and on network B's PfSense box and let it hash itself out.

The reason both networks need to use DHCP is because both have Wireless APs that various PCs connect to that need to get their IPs assigned through DHCP.

Let me know if anymore information is needed that I forgot to add.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Linux User
    try openvpn. set up a point to point connection between the default gateway in network A and the default gateway in network B and have them "push" their networks to each other so gateway A knows how to get to network B and vice versa.

Ed: just realized this might not the solution for you, I was assuming you have linux boxes as gateway on both networks.

Just Joined!
    I have a unix box on one network and a linksys router on the other.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Search openwrt or dd-wrt and see if your linksys box can be flashed with either one of their firmware (that has openvpn built-in). The key is to turn your linksys box into a linux box.