Find the answer to your Linux question:
I added some entries into my /etc/exports file. But when I boot my system, the file is not read. I check it by Code: sudo exportfs — it returns nothing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

/etc/exports file not read on boot

I added some entries into my /etc/exports file. But when I boot my system, the file is not read. I check it by
    Code:
    sudo exportfs
    — it returns nothing

Then I run
    Code:
    sudo expotfs -a
    and then again
    Code:
    sudo exportfs
    — and now all my exported folders are listed.

I'm running kubuntu 9.04

Are you sure nfs service is started - during booting?

Try using
    exportfs -va
    for verbose mode.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    Are you sure nfs service is started - during booting?

Try using

for verbose mode.
    How do I make it starting during booting?

I typed sudo exportfs -va and got
    Code:
    exporting NNN.local:/home/netimen/Documents
    exporting NNN.local:/home/netimen/Pictures 
    exporting NNN.local:/home/netimen/Videos   
    exporting NNN.local:/home/netimen/Music    
    exporting NNN.local:/
    It exported all what I had asked it in config file

Seems like you need to edit fstab file to mount NFS partitions.I googled out this redhat link. NFS Client Configuration Files

Note:
    1.Take backup of fstab file before modifing it.
    2.Beware: Wrong entry in fstab,won't allow you to boot the system .You should have Installation CD ,in order to login to "rescue mode" and correct the errors.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    Seems like you need to edit fstab file to mount NFS partitions.I googled out this redhat link. NFS Client Configuration Files

Note:
    1.Take backup of fstab file before modifing it.
    2.Beware: Wrong entry in fstab,won't allow you to boot the system .You should have Installation CD ,in order to login to "rescue mode" and correct the errors.
    No, not that. The problem is I can't even manually mount the folders my system exports on other machines until I manually type sudo exportfs -a on my system

I'd have to edit the fstab file if I wanted to mount some folders exported by other machines on my system.

The problem is I can't even manually mount the folders my system exports on other machines until I manually type sudo exportfs -a on my system
    Sorry for the delay.(I'm on a vacation leave ) If this is your problem "I can mount local directories on remote machines only after running exportfs command on local machine". then I believe it's standard procedure to export directory.
    First edit /etc/exports file and then use exportfs command to complete the task of exporting files to remote machines.
    -----