Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anyone have explicit, detailed instructions for joining Samba 3 to active directory. Pretend I just turned on Linux for the first time. No info on the net seems to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Start to Finish Recipe for Samba joining AD

Does anyone have explicit, detailed instructions for joining Samba 3 to active directory. Pretend I just turned on Linux for the first time.

No info on the net seems to really cover it entirely. I suppose all I should need is an example SMB.conf and KRB5.conf file, but I don't know that that would even solve my problem completely.

I have Samba working like a champ with user level authentication, but the minute I go to ADS authentication, everything craps out.

I am wanting to use this with Win2k3 Server, with a Win2k3 PDC.

Thanks!!!!

Just Joined!
    No one has ever joined Samba 3 into an AD system? This really is a bummer, because I have everything else running so well with Linux.

If I could get it integrated with AD, it would save a lot of money, instead of spending the money on more Win2k3 servers for file sharing.

If anyone can help, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Cheers!

I have followed the so-called "well documented guides" out there and haven't got this working. maybe they are not documented well enough for people like me.

I would like to see some good solutions, pointers, examples of how people got this working also.

Just Joined!
    Many of these documents assume too much. There's nowhere I've found that says "alright n00b, here's how you do it".

Just because I can set up an AD with Win2K3 in an hour, doesn't mean Linux is just as straight forward. In fact, quite the contrary.

I think Samba has enormous potential, especially in regard to e-mail, web, and ftp servers.

But with file and print sharing with Windows, it's not easy to do. At least not when you're talking Active Directory compatibility.

I can make Samba work all day long, so long as I do a user level security authentication.

But then I'd have to enter in every user manually, which is very tedious for a company of my size.