Find the answer to your Linux question:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, sorry really needed to do that. But after hours of messing around in xorg.conf I finally can load kde...........yay, and its even fast on an old labtop...wonderful...Now time for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Any Gurus Please help me get the internet

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, sorry really needed to do that. But after hours of messing around in xorg.conf I finally can load kde...........yay, and its even fast on an old labtop...wonderful...Now time for the depressing part. During the kde loading screen after startx on the peripherals faze the pc locks up, nothing to be done, I let it sit all night, nothing happens, that's it.

Now, when I boot with the prompt "linux nohotplug" then it works wonderfully,

Problem? Connected to a router for cable internet...once it worked, however with nohotplug detected this is impossible...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH... someone please, please, please help me...been working all together for like 15 hours to get slack on this box like I like it...it works marvelously except for this one really small problem

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration

Linux Enthusiast
    Not to be mean, but this is the wrong way to ask a question if you want a good answer. 90% of a right answer is a good question.

You said you were messing with xorg.conf. Lets see if we can get you connected to the internet before you start up KDE. Is your ethernet card a PCMCIA (external), or is it built into the laptop itself? What laptop is it (For instance, I have a Dell Inspiron 4000). This will let us know what hardware is has (generally). Before you start X/KDE, can you access the internet if you boot it with hotplugging support?

Laptop support in linux is generally not as complete as desktop or server support. If you are looking for something that usually "just works" on a laptop, you may want to try SuSE. I have had pretty good luck with that.

Let us know, there may be more help at hand with some more information. Also, don't scream in posts. It just makes people not want to answer.

Best,

Samuel
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Engineer
    Thank you so much for the reply, the card is a xircom that is in a docking bay on a Dell latitude, older model. Booting with hotpluging does give network access...the router light for my machine is on and I can ping with a good response. The problem occurs when I try to startx. The KDE load screen hangs up when it initializes peripherals. Once the screen did not when starting x under root, and the internet connection was quite good, but the problem started when I tried logging in as a user, and since then the problem has persisted with all accounts.

Still plugging away at trying to fix this, though.

everything appears correctly, only freezes up when x is loading

Sorry about the state of the previous question, but I had been up for a long, long time, hehe

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    P.S. now, with hotplugging, even with no peripherals connected, the kde screen locks up at the initializing peripherals phase