Find the answer to your Linux question:
For school I have been asked to set up a new router machine in a Debian box. Before you start thinking I'm violating forum rules, by asking for help with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

IPv6 Tunnel

For school I have been asked to set up a new router machine in a Debian box. Before you start thinking I'm violating forum rules, by asking for help with a homework assignment, you may throw that idea out of the window, this is just a project for me in my spare time(which helps the admins).

Now I've set up the connection, through IPv4 and thought I would make it a little more interesting by adding an IPv6 tunnel. I requested one at the ISP (XS4all, which set one up). I received no errors, and now when I run apt-get update, it resolves security.debian.org to an IPv6 address. (yeah, something to be proud of!!!). The one problem here is, I don't seem to make a connection.

I don't have the foggiest idea of where the problem could be.

I have a working ping6 localhost, and DNS seems to be resolving.

Can any of you please help me?

I seem to be unable to edit my previous post, so let's do it this way.

I think there is more info needed. I am running a dual stack and DNS seems to be resolving through IPv4, though returning IPv6 addresses. Pinging to my own public address works, but any other public address fails miserably.

Got it working, never mind.
    Everything was set correctly. The admin only forgot to enable the tunnel
    That's what you get if you don't receive full access to the connection you're trying to set up.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    For the record, pinging localhost is not a good test of your DNS resolver. Since localhost is defined in /etc/hosts the DNS is not actually used and packets never actually leave your machine. A site for which you know at least the first few numbers of the IP address (like, say, the xs4all site) would be a significantly better test. This tests both the DNS resolver's ability to query it's upstream nameserver and succeeding that your ability to run packets to the resolved IP address.

Quote Originally Posted by freak132 View Post
    For the record, pinging localhost is not a good test of your DNS resolver. Since localhost is defined in /etc/hosts the DNS is not actually used and packets never actually leave your machine. A site for which you know at least the first few numbers of the IP address (like, say, the xs4all site) would be a significantly better test. This tests both the DNS resolver's ability to query it's upstream nameserver and succeeding that your ability to run packets to the resolved IP address.
    No, but that was meant to test the network stack, not the hardware, or DNS.