Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Tried copying several 1.5 GB files from WinXP machine over to Fedora12 machine. They are on a 100 Mb/s LAN with a switch. If copy is initiated on Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Copying files from Windows to Linux is 2x slower if initiated from Dolphin

Hi,

Tried copying several 1.5 GB files from WinXP machine over to Fedora12 machine.
    They are on a 100 Mb/s LAN with a switch.

If copy is initiated on Linux machine from Doplhin by browsing to Windows share and drag/dropping files into my home dir, speed is ~3.2 MB/s, rarely reaching 3.4

When I log into the XP with KDE remote desktop and copy from there in FAR manager, speed is 5.7 MB/s, often reaching 6.2

This is surprising, as in the past Linux network speed was at least as good as Windows. So I tested further. Copying on Linux machine in mc speed reaches stable 6.5 MB/s.

It looks like there is a problem with KDE or Dolphin. Are there any settings that could affect network copy speed in KDE?

Just Joined!
    Fedora 11 and on has the ext4 file system. This has journaling that can be switched off. Google fedora aspire (sic) and click the link The Road to Elysium for good detail.

Just Joined!
    Journaling is irrelevant, as in both cases files were copied onto the same volume.

Edit: Out of curiosity I tested write speed using a 500MB file from a RAM drive - 30MB/s

Further edit: the issue is obviously with samba4 client implementation, the so called user space samba driver, which KDE uses to dynamically brows CIFS shares.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close