Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just wondering, How secure is TOR really? I mean, between the exit nodes being able to intercept cleartext data, the NSA Forte Meade functioning as a router and node ( ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

tor and the NSA

Just wondering,

How secure is TOR really? I mean, between the exit nodes being able to intercept cleartext data, the NSA Forte Meade functioning as a router and node ( and presumably reading everything, as they most likely can break the encryption like child's play) and the whole project origionally being a US Navy project, isnt the TOR router basically a higher risk to drawing attention?

I thought the TOR was all about anonymity, not security. The whole network removes traceability to you, it doesn't secure your data.

I'd be very wary about sending my personal details for things like internet banking across an untrusted server system like this.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    hmm... true

I also found out that it will, at request, list all the available nodes, and that it will tell you the exact tunnel it is taking, all nodes, and the exit node its using. If I can track where its tunneling TO, cant they track that back through the tunnel to me?

It would be easier to do this while your connection was active, but you'll be using different routes as your connections continue, and the nodes in between you will shift - some will close and others will start, and many use NAT IP addresses which make it more complex to trace. It's this 'shifting sand' that makes life very difficult for those that are trying to trace a connection back to you.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Like a burrowing worm... ok