Find the answer to your Linux question:
In case you have a networking problem: There exists a bash script on collectNWData Überblick / Overview | collectNWData.sh which analyzes a Linux box for common wired and wireless network ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Script to detect common network problems

In case you have a networking problem:

There exists a bash script on collectNWData Überblick / Overview | collectNWData.sh which analyzes a Linux box for common wired and wireless network configuration problems and gives hints how to solve the problem. If it's still not possible to fix the problem the script collects a lof of network configuration information in a file which can be posted on a nopaste web site and helps everybody familiar in Linux networking to fix the networking problem very quickly.

It's used right now by the German Linux community (more than 9000 downloads already) and I'm sure it's also helpful in this community (web pages written in English and German) - fix a network problem on your own and to provide networking info for folks who can help you to fix problems.
    Last edited by framp; 12-10-2009 at 07:52 PM.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." Linus Benedict Torvalds

Linux Guru
    Thank you for your script. I hope that our members will try it out, and comment on it.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

I'll have to check this out when I get home. I can create my own networking issues for testing.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    I'll have to check this out when I get home. I can create my own networking issues for testing.
    Just remember this. It was created for SuSE, so some of the commands are distro specific. I was hoping that we could come up with a version that is more generic, if framp will allow it.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Yeah, I seen this. Still DL and tried it out. Doesn't like Centos.

Regards
    Robert

Linux

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    Yeah, I seen this. Still DL and tried it out. Doesn't like Centos.
    That's one drawback of the script - it's written for SuSE - but most analysis and collected data is also helpful for other distributions. But that's another reason I announced this script in this Linux forum where there are a lot of other Linux distributions than SuSE used. Just send me the created file collectNWData.txt per eMail and I'll fix problems the script has on other distros
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." Linus Benedict Torvalds

Sweet, thnx I see that I do this.

Regards
    Robert

Linux

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just got the output from Lazydog for CentOS (Thx Lazydog) and now installed Centos, Kubuntu and Fedora in a VMWare image to fix the script issues with distros other than OpenSuSE. My major problem right now is to identify the main Linux distros used by Linux beginners. Are there other distros used than OpenSuSE, kubuntu, Centos and Fedora? I can't fully enable and test the script for all Linux distros. Just let me know of other distros usually used by Linux beginners.

There is a beta version of the script available which supports a lot of other Linux distros than openenSuSE. Just go to http://www.linux-tips-and-tricks.de/...ctNWData_62.sh and test it. If you detect runtime errors or you are missing information for your distro - just send me the output file and which info you're missing.

FYI: I just uploaded a new major version of the script here. It now supports openSuSE, Debian, Knoppix, Kubuntu, Mint, Mandriva, CentOS, Fedora and Slackware. Other RH, Debain, Arch and Slackware based Linux distros should also be OK.
    Last edited by framp; 01-20-2010 at 07:56 PM.