Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to mount an ftp site into the filesystem? I know this sounds like an odd request, so i'll explain my reasoning. I am a uni student, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

mounting FTP into filesystem

Is it possible to mount an ftp site into the filesystem?

I know this sounds like an odd request, so i'll explain my reasoning.

I am a uni student, and at uni we have something called 'Homespace'. This is basically a file server on the uni network. All the windows pc's automatically connect to this drive when u log in so u can save all your work etc. Now the uni have setup the homespace server as an ftp server aswell, so we can access our homespace from wherever in the world that has FTP access (ANYWHERE)

Now what i wanna do is mount it into the filesystem of my computer. so i can just open files without having to copy them etc. (online editing essentially)

Is this possible?

Any help gratefully appreciated.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux Newbie
    not that i know of

If you simply want the drive mounted like the windows users do, use the command smbmount (you might need to install samba first) But samba is a program that allows you to utilize windows filesharing protocols as either a server or a client. As far as the ftp thing, I don't know of anything, but if someone hasn't written some small app/script to do that, I would be surprised, Ill post back later if I can find anything
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close