Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need some help trying to figure out what is causing my router to refuse to let ssh, vnc, or http through. I have 3 computers (desk1, desk2, and a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SSH, VNC, HTTP routing mystery

I need some help trying to figure out what is causing my router to refuse to let ssh, vnc, or http through.

I have 3 computers (desk1, desk2, and a notebook) and a Netgear wireless router. I used to have desk1 hooked up directly to the internet on eth0 with a firewall (bastille) set up to block most things. However, I ran Apache with several web pages (virtual hosting on 8080, 8082, 8090, etc) as well as SSH and VNC. Last wrinkle, I use DynDns' Static IP service to map my IP to a legible domain name...mydomain.homelinux.net.

Before, I would simply ssh or vnc to "mydomain.homelinux.net" and all was fine. Now nothing works. It just times out without ever connecting.

My router appears to be working fine. I have no trouble connecting to it at 192.168.0.1 on either my notebook or desk2. However, when I try with desk1, the main machine which once was the firewall, I get a "connection refused" error when I aim my browser at 192.168.0.1. Also, even when I set desk1 up as the DMZ I get absolutely no love from any of my services, it's as if something (my firewall?) is blocking any contact from the router completely.

All three computers can connect to the internet fine, surf the web, and so on. I just need to figure out what is causing desk1 and the router to not get along. I have tried setting up port forwarding, port triggering, and the DMZ stuff---to no avail. I am pretty sure that if I can solve the "connection refused" problem I will be all set. But I just don't know where to start. I don't know what security setup or firewall issue is causing the problem...and of course that's just my hunch. Something else could be the culprit. I've of course tried turning off the firewall, but it didn't help.

Any suggestions? This has been a major headache and I need to have this up and running asap...! I'm still trying to look on the bright side, but man, if anyone knows something to try I would really love to buy you a virtual beer (or several!) in exchange for some solutions. I am pondering a full backup of the home directories and then a move to Fedora Core 2, but that's a last, desperate resort as it will no doubt leave other problems (soundcard, perhaps?) in its wake. I really just need some clues as to what's causing this error...many thanks in advance for some help!

Linux Guru
    Lets start with what you changed that made things stop working... New router, new setup, etc... Something must have changed?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!

More info

Yes, good point. What changed was that I added the router. I used to have it directly connected to the internet, through eth0 (with a pretty restrictive firewall).

Now I've got the router connected to the internet and the same config behind it.

Luckily, I figured out one part of the puzzle: my IP changed and it took a while to propagate through the DNS servers. So now my VNC problems and SSH woes have (whew) disappeared.

What hasn't returned are my web pages. I have port 80 open (I ran a port scan to be sure), but my pages are virtual hosted on 8080, 8082, and 8090. I added some port forwarding notes to the router config for those ports, but no dice. One page says "cannot be found" and the other stops after "connecting to www.websitexyz.org" and just hangs. It seems like the server doesn't want to talk to the router for some reason.

Any ideas?

Linux Guru
    You may have to configure port forward on the physical router. I think netgear's access it 192.168.0.1. At least mine is. There should be settings there to allow you port forward requests for port 80 to 8080.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!

portforward 80 to 8080?

Hmmm, the Netgear port forwarding for HTTP was stuck on 80. It wouldn't let me change it. If I select "HTTP" as the service, it's preset to forward 80. Also, it doesn't allow a port to forward to another port (er, it might, but I just don't know how to do that...!) So I can forward 80 to 80 or 8080 to 8080, but I don't see an easy way to forward 80 to 8080.

Any more things to try?

Just Joined!

Re: portforward 80 to 8080?

Quote Originally Posted by thesun
    So I can forward 80 to 80 or 8080 to 8080, but I don't see an easy way to forward 80 to 8080.

Any more things to try?
    Forward your localhost:80 to localhost:8080 too?

Regards,
    Per Gunnar Hansų
    --
    Smile! It's free of charge.