Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, I have three users in samba file user1 user2 user3 and I have share1 and its subfolder " subshare " the thing i have to do is that, i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

creating subfolder permission through samba file (smb.conf)

hello,

I have three users in samba file user1
    user2
    user3

and I have share1 and its subfolder " subshare "

the thing i have to do is that, i have 2 assign user1 and user2 to share1
    that means user1 and user2 can only access share1 through password
    and user3 can access only its subfolder "subshare"

i have done this upto first level permission of share1 not able to do for its subfolder "subshare"

plz help ...its urgent

thankyou

Linux Guru
    If you have two doors in sequence, how do you get to door #2 if you can't pass thru door #1?

Create another Samba share for "subshare" to give User3 access to it.

Just Joined!

its subfolder level permission

i have given first level permission to my share and its working ...

but i am not getting how to assaign second level (subfolder) permission.

Without listing that subfolder in samba home page. it should be inside its main folder
    (1st level).

regards
    himmat

Linux Guru
    How else can it be said?

If User3 cannot access the TOP LEVEL SHARE, how can it get to any subfolders???

** Just like in Windows filesharing, Samba *only* controls access to the SHARE. All other permissions (file or directory read/write) is controlled via filesystem permissions - NTFS permissions on Windows, RWX or ACL's on Linux.) **

Just Joined!

subfolder permission

i have accesed first level folder through user1 and user2 and thats working ...

but i have to assaign permission to user3 to access its subfolder... and dont know how to do this ???

if u have any other way to access this subfolder plz suggest.... rather than listing its subfolders in main samba home page.... bcoz there can num of subfolders and that will become too congested.....

thankyou

Linux Guru
    i have accesed first level folder through user1 and user2 and thats working ...
    ...if User3 cannot get into the Samba share (the TOP LEVEL SHARE), User3 cannot access any subfolders. PERIOD. Alternative to not giving User3 access to the share? Create another Samba share.

but i have to assaign permission to user3 to access its subfolder... and dont know how to do this ???
    ...once IN THE SHARE, all file/folder permissions are managed by the filesystem. So on Linux, this means either RWX permissions or enabling ACL's.

bcoz there can num of subfolders and that will become too congested.....
    Then you have designed your share backwards. The "top level" should be what everyone has access to and subfolders become more restrictive based on user or group membership - again, managed by filesystem permissions.

How else can it be said?

If User3 cannot access the TOP LEVEL SHARE, how can it get to any subfolders???

** Just like in Windows filesharing, Samba *only* controls access to the SHARE. All other permissions (file or directory read/write) is controlled via filesystem permissions - NTFS permissions on Windows, RWX or ACL's on Linux.) **

Just Joined!

subfolder permission

The "top level" should be what everyone has access to and subfolders become more restrictive based on user or group membership - again, managed by filesystem permissions.
    plz tell me the way to manage through filesystem pemission.
    the thing i have to do is assaign permission 2 subfolders and hence it should allow only specified users to have access on other network through samba file sharing......

thankyou

Just Joined!
    can we link ACL commands with samba file so that it should work on netwok too.????

ThankYou