Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All We have just recently started to use Linux @ work, and being a complete newbie, I installed RH9 on a spare machine @ home (so if i trash ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot Activate Ethernet under RH9

Hi All

We have just recently started to use Linux @ work, and being a complete newbie, I installed RH9 on a spare machine @ home (so if i trash it i wouldn't get fired)!!!

I have an Ageing NE2000 Clone (NetVin NV5000SC) ethernet card. The card is recognised fine with RH9 I just cannot activate it. I Have tried the card in my Win XP machine and the card works fine.

I am trying to set it up to use DCHP from my Netgear Router (DG834) so i can share files with my Win XP machine and as a Download manager.

When i try to activate it i get an error message saying "Detemining IP information for Eth0.....failed". This is from the Network Configuration Tool in KDE.

lsmod reports;

ie2k-pci 7232 1 [ne2k-pci]
    8390 8508 0 (autoclean)

ifconfig shows the device as being present

If you need more info - just post

Many Thanks

mftp

try activating it manually from the command line:
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up
    and if it doesn't return any output, then it worked. if it does work, but it doesn't give you an IP address then:
    Code:
    dhclient eth0

Just Joined!
    hi lakerdonald

Thanks for replying so quickly.

i have tried what you suggested;

Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up
    gave no error messages

and
    Code:
    dhclient eth0
    exited with
    No DCHPOFFERS recieved

The Card has both a 10baseT RJ45 connector and a BNC style Coax connector, is it possible that Linux is trying to use the Coax socket and not the 10baseT?

And if so, do you know how i can force it to swap?

Many Thanks

Mftp

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i assume that your LAN is set up with 192.168.blah.blah?
    If so, why don't you just assign it an address manually and try pinging your router. if that works then try to ping an external address like google:
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.102
    ping 192.168.0.1
    ping google.com
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    Hi

I assigned the IP address to be 192.168.0.10 (it is a 4 port router with 192.168.0.1 being the routers IP address, so as not to cause any confilict with existing machines and currently there are only my RH9 box and my XP machine (on 192.168.0.2) powered up

I only got
    Destination Code Unreachable
    messages, as i said before i have a feeling that whatever driver RH9 is using it is not utilising the correct connector or tranciever on the card itself.

I have thus far been unable to find a downloadable driver, as the chipset has been supported in the kernel since V 2.0.x and i'm using a 2.4

i also get no response from pinging 192.168.0.10 from my WinXP box - again it says destination unreachable.

BTW - the driver RH9 is using is ne2k-pci if that helps

Many thanks again for any assistance you can give

MFTP