Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed College Linux, my first ever distro, using The_Q's guide off of www.collegelinux.org . When i open up mozilla it cannot connect to any web pages. I can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Internet Not Working

I just installed College Linux, my first ever distro, using The_Q's guide off of www.collegelinux.org . When i open up mozilla it cannot connect to any web pages. I can ping 127.0.0.1 and the internet on my WINXP partition works fine. Any ideas?

Linux Newbie
    Hi ! First of all welcome to the forums !!!
    Can you ping any other addresses except localhost ? if you can't, did you setup your DNS ip address. In the file /etc/resolv.conf you should have a line like nameserver <ip> where ip is the IP of your DNS. Take a look at the posts at this part of the forum.

Just Joined!
    I cannot ping any outside sources nor can a computer on the network ping the linux computer. The driver seems to be fine and card can ping 127.0.0.1

Any ideas?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    why don't you try
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up
    if that doesn't return any output, then it worked. then try pinging stuff. if it still can't ping after ifconfiging, then:
    Code:
    dhclient eth0
    (i assume that you use DHCP?)
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    Heh! It turns out the college internet went down right after I switched from XP to Linux I went back to check if WinXP worked and it didn't. My internet now works for both OSes!!!

Thanks for all the help!

yay
    who'd of thought that linux wasn't responsible. i bet you a million bucks that the college servers are running windows
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    They are running Windows! I was looking in the employment section on the college website and they are looking for a Linux expert because i believe they are converting.

well at least they have seen the light