Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've looked around, but I cant find any tool that shows me how much bandwidth (or tcp/udp activity) process are using. My ideal right now would be a top ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Top for network usage per process

Hi,

I've looked around, but I cant find any tool that shows me how much bandwidth (or tcp/udp activity) process are using.

My ideal right now would be a top like utility, but toping network usage instead cpu usage.

Do you know any tool with this characteristics? I'm looking for a command line utility, but a graphical one would be also very nice.

Please post your solution or favorite tool.

Tnx!

Linux User
    Perhaps jnettop would be of help !

jnettop

Just Joined!
    [QUOTE=nmset;752122]Perhaps jnettop would be of help !

Thanks, but

Jnettop doesn't show the process name or process number. There are several tools like jnettop, but (as far as I could find) none of them shows which process or application is responsible for the traffic.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

jnettop + lsof

[QUOTE=Alienation;752144]
    Quote Originally Posted by nmset View Post
    Perhaps jnettop would be of help !

Thanks, but

Jnettop doesn't show the process name or process number. There are several tools like jnettop, but (as far as I could find) none of them shows which process or application is responsible for the traffic.
    I agree that the process should be listed. But perhaps this can help: when you have the port number (eg 6666) on which the traffic is high, you can find out the process by:

lsof -Pni :6666

Did not find how to combine them into one - I'm not (yet ) a command line wizard.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by masticator View Post
    I agree that the process should be listed. But perhaps this can help: when you have the port number (eg 6666) on which the traffic is high, you can find out the process by:

lsof -Pni :6666

Thanks, that might be helpful on some situations, there are also other ways to find out which process is using which ports. What would really be nice is a net usage by process first, then we could drill down to port usage if wanted.

I still didn't found a good way to get this in Linux, (in windows there are several utilities) I'm probably looking at it in the wrong way.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alienation View Post
    a top like utility, but toping network usage instead cpu usage.
    I wrote a tool intended to do just that a while ago, it's called 'nethogs' and can be found in most distro's as well as at nethogs.sf.net