Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all Another of my samba questions! After my reinstallation of the o/s (Ubuntu) I started to notice that new users were not getting their home directories created. After some ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    tqz
    Just Joined!

Samba home shares

Hello all

Another of my samba questions!

After my reinstallation of the o/s (Ubuntu) I started to notice that new users were not getting their home directories created. After some digging I found that they were being created but in a diff location. So for example if the home directory was meant to be created for a user at /home/user/ it was instead being created in /home/share.

What in the samba file would I need to change to correct the location of the home dir...

Thanks in advance

t.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by tqz View Post
    Hello all

Another of my samba questions!

After my reinstallation of the o/s (Ubuntu) I started to notice that new users were not getting their home directories created. After some digging I found that they were being created but in a diff location. So for example if the home directory was meant to be created for a user at /home/user/ it was instead being created in /home/share.

What in the samba file would I need to change to correct the location of the home dir...

Thanks in advance

t.
    I dont know what samba file you would have to change to correct that(if any) but you can always change a users home dir under system>admin>user settings. Just log in as root by clicking the keys and you can click on the user, go to properties, advanced tab and change it.

Dont know if you have already seen this but this site helped me out alot when i was setting up my samba server, and my OpenSSH as well.

i cant post url's yet but google "linux home server how to" and its the first one.

tqz
    Just Joined!
    Hello Tsquad and many thanks for the link!

It "seems"that when home directories are automatically created, they are created by deafult at home/domain for my active directory user.

I thought by changing this line in the smb.conf file may help:-

template homedir= /home/user/%U

but the home users dir still gets created under the /home/share(domain)....

Any ideas???

t.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by tqz View Post
    Hello Tsquad and many thanks for the link!

It "seems"that when home directories are automatically created, they are created by deafult at home/domain for my active directory user.

I thought by changing this line in the smb.conf file may help:-

template homedir= /home/user/%U

but the home users dir still gets created under the /home/share(domain)....

Any ideas???

t.
    I do not, im quite new to all this as well so my knowledge of it is minimal.

You can begin by checking out the doc of samba :
    The Official Samba 3.2.x HOWTO and Reference Guide