Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have a machine that I just installed SuSE on. The problem is I am unable to connect to anything outside of my home network. I cannot ping, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot connect outside my home network

Hello,

I have a machine that I just installed SuSE on. The problem is I am unable to connect to anything outside of my home network. I cannot ping, I cannot traceroute, nothing.

I can although connect to anything I want within my home network. I have set a default gateway (which is my router), I have enabled DHCP, I have done everything I can possibly imagine, but no dice. Just so that you know, I am getting a IP from my DHCP server and I can transfer files and ping other computers on my network.

I have even tried pinging my ISP's DNS servers and I get "Destination host unreachable."

Does anyone have any ideas on this one?

this is probably a router config problem, do you have any filters enabled on the router?
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    I don't know if this is a router config problem. All of my other Windows machines can connect to the internet fine. Could this still be a problem?

-Regan

Can you ping the router and/or other machines on your LAN? Does the router have DNS proxying (check the DNS server IPs on the windows boxen)?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Hi there,

I can ping anything, and for that matter do anything I want, within my home network from my linux machine. I do not know what you mean by DNS proxy, but the linux box is configured to pull DNS info from my router. This is how all of my windows machines do it.

Also, manually configuring the DNS will not work. DNS only resolves domain names, I am not even worrying about resolving domain names. I want to be able to ping an ip address outside my home network.

Just FYI, I don't remember if I mentioned this, but my Linux box is the only machine having connection problems. Everything else can connect fine.

Just Joined!
    Hi there,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have figured out the problem... well kinda. I removed my wireless card in the network cards display and wala, everything works all of a sudden. I don't know why this was an issue. I never configured my wireless card and I was able to connect to my local network using my ethernet card, but there must have been some sort of conflict there. Anyways, if anyone ever wants to look into this any further, the laptop is a Toshiba A70. Thanks for your help everyone!

-Regan