Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Greetings, I am running Samba on a debian Lenny box on a wireless home network. I find that file transfers to the samba share are very slow. It takes over ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Slow file transfers using Samba

Greetings, I am running Samba on a debian Lenny box on a wireless home network. I find that file transfers to the samba share are very slow. It takes over a minute to copy a 40MB file to the linux box, but only 20 seconds to copy the same file to a windows XP box on the same network.

Anyways, I could use a little direction on how to proceed with this, I'm really not sure where to start,

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What version of samba (smbd) are you running, and what kernel is Lenny running right now? I know that on my CentOS system, copies over my gigabit ethernet from a windows box to CentOS goes at up to 1/2 wire speed - or about 200-500mbps. A 1.1GB video file takes less than 30 seconds.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Also, what is the source system?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thanks, Gumby. Since my first post, I've found quite a bit of stuff on the net about this specific issue. I haven't had a chance to go through it all yet, but either way I'll let you know how it goes, and we can take it from there if necessary.

Ok Captain. Have fun and let us know what you find out.

OK, no luck with this. I tried transferring the same file using psftp and it was just as slow, so I suppose it is not samba related.

I am copying the file from Windows XP professional to Debian Lenny. I am not sure of the versions, but it must be fairly new, I downloaded a new net install image about a month ago, and built up the system since then.

Anyways, I figured that rather than post a lot of configuration info that I am not sure about anyway, I'll let people ask for what they want to see.

Thanks in advance.

Look at the rest of the current activities on your server as well as memory utilization, iostat, virus scanning, etc. You might find that there is a "hot spot" somewhere that is the root cause of your problem.

ok will do, it'll be a good learning experience for performance testing. All I can say at this point is that I have disabled all new services I installed after the base install, with the exception of ssh and samba.

My roommate will have to wait for that additional storage space for her ever growing collection of mp3s/videos/photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by fguy64 View Post
    My roommate will have to wait for that additional storage space for her ever growing collection of mp3s/videos/photographs.
    I know how that goes! Kind of like that old addage, "Disc space, the final frontier"!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I know how that goes! Kind of like that old addage, "Disc space, the final frontier"!
    Haha, I look for real life reasons to expand my home network. But I can't take too long, if she gets tired of waiting for tech support, she'll just go buy an 1TB external HD for $150, and that will be a blow to my pride.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast