Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have 2 home networks, 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.1.0 (both /24). both networks are currently a cable modem, connected to a home router, connected by ethernet to several PC's (and a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Network design: Routing between 2 networks.

I have 2 home networks, 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.1.0 (both /24).
    both networks are currently a cable modem, connected to a home router, connected by ethernet to several PC's (and a server on each one.)

I want to connect the 2 networks, so I can transfer files between hosts on each network, play games as if it were 1 lan, stream movies, stuff like that.

I want to keep each default gateway (the internet connection) separate, so I'm not stealing my friend's bandwidth (and more importantly, so he doesn't steal mine :P)

I need to know what the cheapest way to setup a router between the 2 would be. I was looking at buying the cheapest gigabit wired router I could find, but I didn't know if using a residential router would work. I know my current one has configuration for static routes, and I could use that to transfer to a gateway between the 2, but I don't know if it could act as one.

Has anyone else tried this kinda thing? what is the cheapest (and most easily available) solution to this?

Thanks
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

You have several options, depending on how you've got it set up. If everyone has a static IP assignment, and they're configured locally, you should get away with just changing the netmask to 255.255.0.0 and connecting the hubs.

You could put all the computers on the same network and set the default route on each machine to the routers, but this might mean tweaking the configuration of the routers so they are on the same network.

If you have dynamic assignment, you can add a route either statically or through your dhcp server and do a simple bit of firewalling between your servers. This is the most complete solution, and you can use a crossover ethernet cable and a new network card in each server to make it happen. The basic approach is to add a route on Network A for traffic aimed at Network B with the server for Network A as the gateway, and the opposite on Network B.
    Last edited by Roxoff; 02-03-2010 at 09:25 PM.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/