Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using Fedora 12 and Samba and have been having trouble getting the computers in my windows workgroup to play nice with the new linux box. Samba is version ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba windows workgroup printer issues

I am using Fedora 12 and Samba and have been having trouble getting the computers in my windows workgroup to play nice with the new linux box. Samba is version 3.4.5-55.fc12. Basically, I am having two issues. When I first boot my computer, if I try to access it from another computer in the workgroup, I will get a message to the extent of the network location could not be accessed. If I change Samba's authentication mode from share to something else, then change it back to share, it works. My other problem is this, and I'm not entirely sure its possible. This computer is set to dual boot to both windows and fedora. I would like the other pcs to be able to use the printer attached to it in the same manner regardless of which os I'm running at the time. In theory, this should be as simple as making sure the addresses are the same, I think. Linux uses a slightly different name for the printer than windows. Windows is hp psc 1200 series. Linux is psc-1200-series. I have been looking online for a way to change the printer name. This is the closest thing I could find.

Code:
    [hp psc 1200 series]
    	security = server
    	path = /var/spool/samba
    	printer name = hp psc 1200 series
    	writable = yes
    	public = yes
    	printable = yes
    ;	browseable = yes
    adding that to my smb.conf caused the windows pc to see the new printer, but it did not mistake it for the printer on my windows boot. I tried installing the linux printer (not the one I added) on my windows box just to see if it worked, but it needed the drivers installed manually and default drivers are not included with windows, so I would have had to use my hp disks, which weren't available at the time at the time. I have already changed my hostname to match that of my windows boot, so that much should be the same. What else do I need to do to get the other computers to see this printer the same in windows and fedora? Thanks!

Just Joined!

Oops!

I've posted this in the wrong place. Saw Samba and missed servers lol. Could a mod please delete this or move to linux networking?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by spiderdan View Post
    I've posted this in the wrong place. Saw Samba and missed servers lol. Could a mod please delete this or move to linux networking?
    moved it for you...
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks ozar! I appreciate it.