Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is my fist post! Thank you in advance for any help I get! I am a fresh Linux newbie who thought he was off to a great start but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help! Filesharing Fedora 12 and Ubuntu 9.10

This is my fist post! Thank you in advance for any help I get!

I am a fresh Linux newbie who thought he was off to a great start but I have hit a road block.

I have an Inspiron 530 running Fedora 12 x86-64 and an Inspiron 1000 Laptop running Ubuntu 9.10. I have fixed all the tweaks in both from nvidia video cards to broadcom network cards just by reading everything on here but I have read everything about SSH, Samba. NFS and am still having a really hard time making these things talk.

The computers are both on the internet through a router the Laptop wired and the Desktop wireless.

Please where do I start? Thank You so much again!

Just Joined!
    I likewise have run into all sorts of trouble getting Fedora 12 to do personal file-sharing at all either with windows sharing or with whatever service gnome-user-share is supposed to do (for sharing with other linux boxes). I never used to have any trouble getting these things to work in linux with samba... but now things appear to use mount.cifs for windows shares rather than samba and I have absolutely no idea why nfs isn't appearing to do anything. I don't remember actually having to run a full file server before to share files but maybe I did...

Nonetheless, I share your frustration. Google searches do not seem to reveal any up to date personal file sharing documentation for fedora... I'm sure I'll track it down eventually, and when I do, I'll post it here.