Find the answer to your Linux question:
ive wanted to setup a home network for years but im kinda lost when it comes to doing it, seems like what i want it to do, google never comes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

setting up a network

ive wanted to setup a home network for years but im kinda lost when it comes to doing it, seems like what i want it to do, google never comes up with any answers that i could use.

1. basically, ill probably need to start with a couple questions. 1. is a linux network possible without using samba? (as if it was a linux only network)

2. i have to use a dhcp network, so is there any way i can set it up where each computer could dynamically determine domain names for each computer without having to run a domain name server in my house. usually on a windows network i see they can find all the other computers in the network and use their names automatically. could that be simple to do in linux? one of the things id like to be able to do is say if i wanted to configure cups on the computer with a printer attached, just open up firefox and do [computersname]:631 and it automatically resolve it. best i can think of it would probably need something done in my router but i dont really know.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

1. basically, ill probably need to start with a couple questions. 1. is a linux network possible without using samba? (as if it was a linux only network)

2. i have to use a dhcp network, so is there any way i can set it up where each computer could dynamically determine domain names for each computer without having to run a domain name server in my house. usually on a windows network i see they can find all the other computers in the network and use their names automatically. could that be simple to do in linux? one of the things id like to be able to do is say if i wanted to configure cups on the computer with a printer attached, just open up firefox and do [computersname]:631 and it automatically resolve it. best i can think of it would probably need something done in my router but i dont really know.
    1. Yes, as a matter of fact, it is easier. You can use NFS
    to share directories with other computers.

2. When you have a Windows network, old school, they find
    each other by magic. For various reasons, this is being phased out.
    You can set up each computer to use DHCP, but if you don't
    want to run a name server, I advise setting the router to
    always issue the same address to each machine, and put all
    addresses/names in an /etc/hosts file on each computer,
    because in tcp/ip networking there is no magic as with legacy
    windows/netbios networking.

Once you have the /etc/hosts file working, any computer
    on the network can find any other by name, you can run
    any services you want on any one, and any other can
    access that service. I have a printer with CUPS on one computer,
    and the others can set it as their default printer, so from any
    program, you just select print from the menu, and it goes to
    the printer.

k, so basically there is no automatic way to resolve domain names without setting up a dns for my home. do you think they might make routers that also can serve as a dns? i know it wouldn't be that hard for them to do, most of them now have a way to see all connected computers AND it lists their names along with the assigned ip.

i just kinda like the idea of having a network setup thats as automatic as it can be with adding and removing computers.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    What some people do is have a DHCP server that dynamically
    updates the DNS server. I don't know of any cheap routers that
    do this though.

i just think it would be a waist of money to have an entire computer dedicated to a random dns lookup ever now and then

it seems like it would be a non trivial feature for a router, would make home and office networking a lot simpler and faster and it would go right along side standard features like the dhcp server and firewalls already a standard part of routers, hell, if they can do port forwarding and port triggering, they could do this.

Just Joined!

Huge Network Tutorial site

Huge Network Tutorial site
    For more information, see
    www[dat]adminkernel[dat]com

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20 View Post
    ive wanted to setup a home network for years but im kinda lost when it comes to doing it, seems like what i want it to do, google never comes up with any answers that i could use.

that very good site yes