Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
iptables-save writes to stdout. Typically, the init script for iptables uses it on stopping the service to redirect to /etc/sysconfig/iptables-config (RH-like distros) or /etc/iptables-rules (Debian distros). There are probably scenarios ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

iptables-save writes to stdout. Typically, the init script for iptables uses it on stopping the service to redirect to /etc/sysconfig/iptables-config (RH-like distros) or /etc/iptables-rules (Debian distros). There are probably scenarios that use other locations/filenames. The init script then uses iptables-restore with input redirected from that file on startup.

Very good how-to in a nutshell, though.

I just did some searching and found the best way to write the config file for iptables is to use the following:

Code:
    /etc/init.d/iptables save
    I don't use this method as I edit /etc/sysconfig/iptables file by hand so everything is saved when I am done. The iptables-save I read in the Tutorial but never used it. Just goes to show you can teach an old dog new tricks. Thnx for pointing this out..

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Yes, that's the best way to do it explicitly. That save function of the iptables init script is called by both the stop and restart functions, so any orderly shut down or restart of the service, including an orderly system reboot, will result in saving the current tables and using them on restart. This is probably the best option for most folks, as it ensures that the correct directory/file are used and that the contents are syntactically (though not necessarily logically correct). Experienced engineers can get away with hand-editing because they're prepared to find and fix the problem if they mung up the syntax or misplace the file.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2