Find the answer to your Linux question:
My current environment consists of Linux servers, Solaris servers, and Windows servers and clients. We have no AD (Active Directory) in our Windows environment. I have the following two questions ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can a Linux LDAP server support Linux, Solaris, and Windows clients?

My current environment consists of Linux servers, Solaris servers, and Windows servers and clients. We have no AD (Active Directory) in our Windows environment. I have the following two questions please:

1- If I make a couple of Linux boxes to be my LDAP servers (master & slave), can they support Solaris & Windows servers/clients as their clients w/o AD?

2- Can LDAP replace internal DNS? If so, is Internal DNS it's primary role or it is best used for SSO (Single Sign On)?

Obviously this is more of a architectural type question and as such I would greatly appreciate a guru's point of view.

Many thanks in advance, and have a terrific day.

is Internal DNS it's primary role or it is best used for SSO
    Well.. first of all:
    A ldap server is a hierarchical database.
    And a empty one at the beginning.
    Similar to -for example- a MySQL DB, it can be used for all kinds of datastoring.

It *can* be a basis for authentication, *nix OSes might be easier here than windows, as one just ( ) has to configure pam, etc.
    Windows authentication.. I am not up to speed in terms of samba/kerberos/ldap.
    But last time I checked it was still a pita to setup and maintain.

Ldap can be a backend db of a dns server, but ldap itself is not a dns server.
    Last edited by Irithori; 02-18-2010 at 07:50 PM.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.