Find the answer to your Linux question:
I Have backtrack 4 installed along with a XP. I boot into linux and try to connect to the internet and it does not work. I am able to ping ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Network connection works but no the internet.

I Have backtrack 4 installed along with a XP. I boot into linux and try to connect to the internet and it does not work. I am able to ping the IP addy of the modem and can ping other c0mputers 0n the netw0rk.

At first Eth0 was not working so I manually assigned a IP and a net mask. I was then able to ping the routers IP and other c0mputers. But when I try to ping a website I get no reply.

Any help would be great, I am noob at linux so any simple stuff may have been overlooked.

Linux Guru
    Is this a wired connection or wireless?

What is the output of ifconfig -a (run it as root user)?

What have you done to try to configure? What error messages, if any?

mzv
    Just Joined!
    seems you got no dns or gateway settings. Do you have DHCP server in your network? Anyway, need to see your ifconfig output.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Sorry guys was a very easy fix after hours of grind I finally retried the command route add default gw 192..... (for the tenth time) this time it recognized ip belonging to the device. It was confusing me because I was able to ping the gateway but not configure it to a table.

musta been my clumsy fingers making some sort of typo every time I typed in the command or lady luck is on my friends back, because as soon as he walked in it worked.

Thanks for the attempted help, I will remember to post more info next time.