Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm trying to setup my debian system so that I can access it's services from the internet I have my router set to forward ports 21, 22, and 80 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ports forwarded but no connections accepted

Hello, I'm trying to setup my debian system so that I can access it's services from the internet

I have my router set to forward ports 21, 22, and 80 to the internal ip of the server, and internet port checking tools tell me the ports are open at my external ip.

On the debian I am running Apache, ProFTPD, and SSH Server, and they all work fine for me inside the network, but whenever I try connecting with my external ip, all connections are immediately refused.

So I don't know if its a problem with my router setup, with my debian system setup, or the setups of the servers.

Any advice?

mzv
    Just Joined!
    Do you have firewall enabled on the router or the server? Do you have access to its rules? Try to disable firewall for a time.

Just Joined!
    The firewall on my router claims to be off and I did not install one on the linux server.

Just Joined!
    Matt,
    you said your router is configured to forward packets to the *internal* address of your server. Surely, this is not correct.
    Also, are your services listening to your external address?

Just Joined!
    "you said your router is configured to forward packets to the *internal* address of your server. Surely, this is not correct."

By this, I mean the linux box, and several other systems, are connected to the router which provides internet access. What I meant by internal was the private network, 192.168.69.X

The linux box is at 192.168.69.15, so I configured the router to forward ports 21, 22, and 80 to this address

"Also, are your services listening to your external address?"
    Ahah, this helped. It seems the question I should be asking is "How do I setup each of these services to work behind a NAT?"

For now, I am focusing on making proftpd accesible.

Thanks!