Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I want to share my DVD drive on my desktop with my Eee PC using NFS. I have set up NFS without any problems but I can't watch any DVD's. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Reading a DVD (movie) over NFS

I want to share my DVD drive on my desktop with my Eee PC using NFS. I have set up NFS without any problems but I can't watch any DVD's.

I have mounted /media/cdrom and I can see the files on the desktop DVD drive.

When attempting to play the DVD over NFS using VLC I receive a loud screeching noise but it does play for different durations of time which I'm guessing are the DVD's chapters)

Any hints or suggestions?
    Linux User #453176

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    DRM/CSS - do you have the libdvdcss package installed on the Eee PC?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Yeah, both computers are running Ubuntu (and Kubuntu) with restricted-extras installed including CSS packages
    Linux User #453176

Since you can see the directory structure, can you run one of the VOB files directly with VLC?

They all produce the same screeching as when playing the full DVD. Let me try and run on the command line to get some output...
    Linux User #453176

I could be the latency introduced by NFS that is causing this effect. Also, I think that the CSS decoding has to be done at a low level and might not work for a remote drive access like this. Not sure. Just swagging.

Okay, the screeching is no longer happening and now VLC just opens and does nothing. Here is the stdout:

Code:
    kieren@Tobias:/media$ sudo mount 192.168.1.3:/media/cdrom /media/cdrom/
    kieren@Tobias:/media$ ls cdrom
    AUDIO_TS  VIDEO_TS
    kieren@Tobias:/media$ vlc /media/cdrom
    VLC media player 0.9.9a Grishenko
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - version 0.9.9a Grishenko - (c) 1996-2009 the VideoLAN team
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure  '--build=i486-linux-gnu' '--enable-maintainer-mode' '--enable-release' '--prefix=/usr' '--enable-libtool' '--enable-fast-install' '--with-binary-version=2ubuntu1' '--disable-update-check' '--disable-gnome' '--disable-gtk' '--disable-familiar' '--disable-fb' '--enable-ggi' '--enable-sdl' '--enable-esd' '--enable-mad' '--enable-jack' '--enable-pulse' '--enable-lirc' '--enable-a52' '--enable-aa' '--enable-dvbpsi' '--enable-mozilla' '--with-mozilla-pkg=libxul-plugin' '--disable-kde' '--enable-mp4' '--enable-dvb' '--disable-satellite' '--enable-ogg' '--enable-vorbis' '--enable-shout' '--enable-qt4' '--disable-slp' '--enable-flac' '--disable-skins' '--disable-basic-skins' '--enable-skins2' '--enable-freetype' '--enable-mkv' '--enable-speex' '--enable-caca' '--enable-live555' '--enable-libmpeg2' '--enable-fribidi' '--enable-cdio' '--enable-mod' '--enable-theora' '--enable-modplug' '--enable-dvdnav' '--enable-gnutls' '--enable-ffmpeg' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-smb' '--disable-gnomevfs' '--enable-bonjour' '--enable-mpc' '--enable-vcd' '--enable-vcdx' '--enable-notify' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-faad' '--disable-zvbi' '--enable-telx' '--enable-mediacontrol-bindings' '--disable-atmo' '--enable-taglib' '--enable-libass' '--enable-libdca' '--enable-realrtsp' '--disable-dv' '--enable-x264' '--enable-alsa' '--enable-v4l' '--enable-v4l2' '--enable-pvr' '--enable-svgalib' '--enable-dvd' '--without-dvdcss' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=' 'CXXFLAGS=-g -O2'
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: translation test: code is "en_GB"
    [00000001] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 4.1.3
    libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.10 for DVD access
    libdvdread: Attempting to use device 192.168.1.3:/media/cdrom mounted on /media/cdrom0 for CSS authentication
    libdvdread: Could not open 192.168.1.3:/media/cdrom with libdvdcss.
    libdvdread: Can't open 192.168.1.3:/media/cdrom for reading
    libdvdread: Device 192.168.1.3:/media/cdrom inaccessible, CSS authentication not available.
    libdvdnav: Can't read name block. Probably not a DVD-ROM device.
    libdvdnav: Unable to find map file '/home/kieren/.dvdnav/.map'
    libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00f50000. Regions: 2 4
    kieren@Tobias:/media$
    Linux User #453176

Can you view the DVD on the desktop/host machine that the DVD player is attached to?

Yes, that works fine. Attaching the DVD player (it's an external) to the Eee allows me to play the DVD without errors too
    Linux User #453176

Then the problem has to be related to the remote access aspects of the situation. What if you use dvdbackup to rip the DVD to the file system (it will remove the CSS DRM) and then try to play the movie?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast