Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear friends. I come from Indonesia. Sorry if I can't write English well. Well, I have some project to build Two DHCP server base Linux system. That are DHCP and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Double DHCP server Linux

Dear friends. I come from Indonesia. Sorry if I can't write English well.

Well, I have some project to build Two DHCP server base Linux system. That are DHCP and DHCPv6. I used Debian for my distro. Can you give me some help to solve this problem?

I starting with give my Linux double IP, IPv4and IPv6 static. That easy. The next step, I'll starting built DHCP servers. Can DHCP servers with two version protocol work together in one computer?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I'm not sure, but I can't imagine why they wouldn't work. They (dhcp-v4 vs dhcp-v6) use different tcp/udp ports.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I'm not sure, but I can't imagine why they wouldn't work. They (dhcp-v4 vs dhcp-v6) use different tcp/udp ports.
    Yes, I think same. Icmpv4 and icmpv6 are different too. I think they should can work together if I have two daemon at my Linux.I have instaled dhcpv4. But my DHCPv6 source can't be compiled. Maybe there are some problem. Do you have try DHCPv6? If you done that, please share a source, Boss. Thanks to reply.

I'd like to try ipv6, but my ISP doesn't support it on DSL connections, even my business dsl, only on T1 and T3 lines... Thanks AT&T (formerly SBC) - NOT!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I'd like to try ipv6, but my ISP doesn't support it on DSL connections, even my business dsl, only on T1 and T3 lines... Thanks AT&T (formerly SBC) - NOT!
    Wew. Maybe it can be built with tunneling or tunnel broker in yours bro. I never try it at internet. Just for local connection.well, I just search with google and i find this source :

DHCP Version 4.1.0 released December 19, 2008

ISC Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)
    DHCP Distribution: Version 4.1.0
    Released: December 19, 2008

Version 4.1.0 of the ISC DHCP Distribution is a feature release.

ISC DHCP 4.1.x will have several new DHCPv6 features that were not in DHCP 4.0.x. These new features include:

* Support for the rapid-commit option on the client side
    * Prefix Delegation support
    * IA_TA address support
    * A basic DHCPv6 relay agent
    * basic DHCPv6 Leasequery support

There are a number of DHCPv6 limitations and features missing in this release, which will be addressed in the future:

* Only Solaris, Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD are supported.
    * Only a single address is supported per IA.
    * DHCPv6 includes human-readable text in status code messages. These should be configurable, and probably localized via gettext() or the like.
    * The "host-identifier" option is limited to a simple token.
    * The client and server can only operate DHCPv4 or DHCPv6 at a time, not both. To use both protocols simultaneously, two instances of the relevant daemon are required, one with the '-6' command line option.

What the means is it? Two daemon are their DHCP server aren't they?

It could be one daemon, but listening on both v4 and v6 ports, responding with the appropriate type of ip address accordingly.