Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I have the following Internet configuration at home: From a DSL modem, the signal goes to a Wireless Router, which is wired to a Linux(Trisquel 3.0) desktop, and there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Linux causing slow wireless connection to Windows?

Hello
    I have the following Internet configuration at home:
    From a DSL modem, the signal goes to a Wireless Router, which is wired to a Linux(Trisquel 3.0) desktop, and there is a Windows 7 desktop, using the wireless connection.
    About since I installed Trisquel on the wired desktop, my brother complains of weak Internet connection. So my question is whether Linux could cause slow connection for the Windows wireless desktop, by using the connection for itself and is there any solution for this?(if that's the deal of course )

Any suggestions and ideas are welcome

linux itself won't cause any problems

if the machine is being used to download torrents, etc. then that will cause a slowdown for everyone else, but that would be the same for any OS

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The wired connection will generally get more attention by the router than the wireless connection since it has less work to do. As a result, if you are actively utilizing a fair amount of bandwide from the desktop to the internet, the wireless systems will definitely notice. Remember that the internet connection is shared equally amongst the active clients (desktop & laptop). However, since the router has less work to do to communicate with the desktop, the results get skewed a bit.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your answers, although that I was pretty sure that Linux itself is quite unlikely to cause the slow speed for the wireless PC.
    I soon installed firewall(Firestarter), and I noticed that the web browser(a Firefox based one) was using the HTTP and HTTPS ports, but with usuallly more than few different IP's connected to, and also Skype( ) is sometimes using 10+ different ports... Of course compared to a bit torrent client it's nothing, but still could this be the cause?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Nikolov View Post
    Thank you for your answers, although that I was pretty sure that Linux itself is quite unlikely to cause the slow speed for the wireless PC.
    I soon installed firewall(Firestarter), and I noticed that the web browser(a Firefox based one) was using the HTTP and HTTPS ports, but with usuallly more than few different IP's connected to, and also Skype( ) is sometimes using 10+ different ports... Of course compared to a bit torrent client it's nothing, but still could this be the cause?
    Very unlikely that this is causing a major slowdown of your laptop. What make/model of router/wireless AP are you using? Also, what are are you using for wireless security? WEP, or WPA?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!