Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I want to learn how to build a Linux network from scratch that includes file and printer sharing, intranet. I have an intermediate-level knowledge of Windows networking. Can anyone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Tutorial Please

Hi,
    I want to learn how to build a Linux network from scratch that includes file and printer sharing, intranet. I have an intermediate-level knowledge of Windows networking. Can anyone suggest a book or online tutorial that I can learn from? Now let me be clear: I am finding no shortage of tutorials on the web. However, too many are old or incomplete.

A little extra info: I am a teacher/network admin for a small private school with about 50 student computers (that I wish to become Linux machines in the future) and about 10 staff computers (mostly Windows laptops--I do not expect the staff to convert to Linux as readily), I currently do not have an intranet implemented.

abpriest,

the easiest way is to use the documentation from the distribution you use.
    I prefer CentOS, most beginners start with Ubuntu I guess.

Try the following for Ubuntu:
    https[:]//help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba

Samba is used to create "Windows" shares over the network, so Windows machines can use them as well as Linux or MAC. Alternatives to Samba do exists but I guess it is so easy and widely deployed that it would do the job for you.