Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to mount a directory on my Slackware 10 box so I can copy files from my fedora box whats the best way to do this, I have been ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mounting other linux boxes

I want to mount a directory on my Slackware 10 box so I can copy files from my fedora box

whats the best way to do this, I have been trying to use the mount cmd, but cant get the right syntax, I just get no such partion found or special device not found.

any help appricated.

T.

Linux User
    Are you talking about 2 different computers, or do you have 2 OS's installed?

Check out "man mount" and "man fstab" might be usefull too.
    --monkey

Just Joined!
    yes they are 2 seperate boxes, 1 is dedicated slackware 10, the other is duel boot fedora2/w2k

originally I wanted the easist way transfer a lot of data, I can do this via the ftp server just setup, but this got me thihnking about shared file systems and I now want to play with those.

so on Box_1(Slackware) I have a path /HOME/Backup/
    then from Box_2(Fedora) I want to create a mount point /mnt/remote/
    so Fedora see's Box_1 as a local mount point when I start copying data to it.

I've exported the fs on slackware (exportfs /HOME/Backup) ,
    but when I try to mount (mount slackware:/HOME/Backup /mnt/remote)

comes back with server down,
    I can ping the machines from each other.

any ideas ??

You'll want to use NFS. It's the Linux Networked File System. Unfortunately, that's all I can offer you. I've never set it up, so I don't know anything about that part.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux User
    I found this NFS how-to http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/

If you don't want to mount it, you can copy files over ssh using "scp" http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/scp.1.html
    --monkey

Just Joined!
    <sarcasm>
    If it's just going to be two unix machines, use UUCP (Unix to Unix Copy) it's totally awesome, http://www.airs.com/ian/uucp.html .
    </sarcasm>

I'd recommend NFS as well, it's pretty simple to setup it can do some pretty amazing stuff (root FS for a pure network boot anyone?).

Look into samba though, even if it's mostly used to work with MS based systems, it works well for unix-to-unix sharing. I recommend at least getting some basic knowledge of it cause if you're into using GNU/Linux you'll eventually run arcoss a situation where you'll need samba for either a personal or work related reason.

Just Joined!
    Cheers for the info, much appriciated

samba, I setup on a HP box at work for windows pc to access, having a stupid moment didn't think to use it for this.

I think i'll go down the NFS route more for the sakes of learning something new.

Quote Originally Posted by ecliptik
    Look into samba though, even if it's mostly used to work with MS based systems, it works well for unix-to-unix sharing. I recommend at least getting some basic knowledge of it cause if you're into using GNU/Linux you'll eventually run arcoss a situation where you'll need samba for either a personal or work related reason.
    I've actually heard people say (as well as experienced) samba working better than the Windows filesharing itself.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    used http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/ all worked perfect!

Cheers
    T.

Linux Newbie
    i often just fire up ftp to copy files