Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Red Hat 9.0 computer act as NAT and DHCP server . It have two network cards. NIC A connect to ADSL that provide Internet function .NIC B connect ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I want know what IP address via to NAT server

I have Red Hat 9.0 computer act as NAT and DHCP server . It have two network cards. NIC A connect to ADSL that provide Internet function .NIC B connect to Internal HUB and provide other client via NAT server connect to Internet .

I want to know what the ip address is of the client to connected my nat server. The client connect to Internet by NAT server but I can not monitor who IP address connected to Internet . I want to know this client and use traffic control tools to limit bandwidth . so I want know what command can get simple log file of IP address (connect to Internet).

Configuration as below:

Internet -> ADSL modem with Router -> RH 9.0 (act as NAT server, it has two NIC cards , one (140.138.x.x) connect to ADSL modem ,another NIC (192.168.0.1) connect to Client HUB )

Client HUB -> connect to client computer (Client get IP address as 192.168.0.X)

I want to know what IP address via NAT server to Internet .for example:

Computer A (192.168.0.10) connect to http://www.redhat.com
    I want on some log files get 192.168.0.10 connect to www.redhat.com,
    As soon as computer (192.168.0.10) disconnect this website , the ip address will disappeard on the log file.

thanks a lot !

I don't really understand what you are asking... What IP Address are you trying to find?
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    I don't really understand what you are asking... What IP Address are you trying to find?
    -lakerdonald

I want to know what the ip address is of the client to connected my nat server. The client connect to Internet by NAT server but I can not monitor
    who IP address connected to Internet . I want to know this client and use traffic control tools to limit bandwidth . so I want know what command can get simple log file of IP address (connect to Internet).

Just Joined!
    Although you might find the IP addresses in some of the router's log files I recommend you rather use a proxy server like squid. It will provide you with detailed log files and you can also control the bandwidth used by clients. Make sure your current router is not setup as a gateway to the internet after setting up squid otherwise clients will continue to use that passage.

I am still a little confused about what you are looking for but if you want to know the ip of the clients of your router in a term type

su -
    <password>

ifconfig

this will give the Ip of the computer you are on.
    if you want to know the IP of your router you need to log into your router and click on the status button that will give you the ip of your router.

I hope this helps
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds