Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
please note that dynamic dns is something different. dynamic dns assigns your public ip to a public hostname, so that you can reach your home computer by means of dns ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

please note that dynamic dns is something different. dynamic dns assigns your public ip to a public hostname, so that you can reach your home computer by means of dns resolution and without needing to know the ip address which in turn can change often.

you can set up your router to provide ip configuration with dhcp and set up a dns server in your lan if you can't get the router settled to do this job for you. then your router would spread the local dns servers ip with the dhcp configuration and all computers look up hostnames by asking your local dns server first.

for example:

you have the router at 192.168.1.1 and the network is 192.168.1.0/24 (192.168.1.*). then you set the router to spread ip configuration with dhcp. the pool for the ips could be something like 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.254. then you set up the "static" ip's that the router assigns by mac-address. then you would have a machine for example at 192.168.1.2 which gets its ip address from the router and provide dns resolution through a dns server like dnsmasq. the router provides this dns server with the dhcp ack and a random client would have for example an ip configuration like this:

192.168.1.100 ip
    255.255.255.0 mask
    192.168.1.1 gateway
    192.168.1.2 primary dns
    192.168.1.1 secondary dns (fallback if 192.168.1.2 is down)

192.168.1.2 then stores the association ip-host in a configuration file, in a database or for win* resolve the name with wins or whatever.

this is not hard to set up. takes about an hour to read the howto and then install it:
    DNS server Setup using bind in Ubuntu|Ubuntu Geek

I got already a DNS server because our service provider had once problems with its DNS servers and Windows does clear the DNS cache from time to time and FreeBSD doesn't (if I remember aright).

This PC with the DNS server is itself now on DHCP and the DNS server is local (127.0.0.1).
    This PC as all the other PCs and Notebooks had been given always the same IP address from the DHCP server in the router.

But those Sparcstations not only grab now the IP addresses used by the existing machines. They swap them even in between after every start-up of the network. Well, surely no one can rely on the address distribution of a DHCP server.

There are already a few VOIP phones that need (again if I remember aright) static IP addresses and network cameras, so adding the Sparcstations to that pool isn't a great deal either.

I only didn't wanted to go with a stupid setup without asking before.
    Bus Error: Passengers dumped. Hech gap yo'q.

Just Joined!
    I made a mistake the package name is winbind not winbinds.

DHCP server can be configured to assign the same address to specific MACs (often referenced as static address binding).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2