Find the answer to your Linux question:
First off, greetings. This site has helped me solve nearly every problem I've encountered since my first linux install (Gentoo circa 2006). Kudos! Unfortunately, I have exhausted all my resources ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Interesting VPN problem....

First off, greetings. This site has helped me solve nearly every problem I've encountered since my first linux install (Gentoo circa 2006). Kudos!

Unfortunately, I have exhausted all my resources to solve a peculiar vpn problem I've been experiencing in the past few weeks. I need to connect to my university's vpn to ssh into my work computer so I can work at home (baby on the way).

I have a linksys/cisco wrt120n router. I have tried to connect on FC13, openSuse 11.0, and ubuntu 10.04.

The vpn client supplied by the university works fine when running XP on my home network. I can connect to the server and use a windows ssh client to access my computer. However, I cannot connect to the vpn server when running linux. I have tried all the linux vpn clients (network manager, kvpnc, etc...), along with all the mods to iptables and my router I can find on the internet.

I have also tried disabling iptables and my firewall, and I still cannot connect.

What's troubling me is that I can connect to vpn connection using my linux boxes on other LANs, and I can connect perfectly on my home network using windows with the university supplied client. I think the problem is the way linux is communicating with the router. I am a networking noob, so that's as far as I can go with it at this point.

If anyone can help me figure out that is going on, I will gladly buy you a cup of coffee.

its possible you may have a windows specific chipset in your router.
    or a configuration error.
    you can check it out easily though
    1st can you network to another computer on your lan?
    2nd can you connect to the web?
    if you can connect to the web your router is working correctly.
    you stated you can connect vpn from another lan, Is the equipment the same?

this appears to be a configuration error.
    check your settings carefully on your router
    you can easily do so by opening your browser and typing the routers mac address in the search bar

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuuser View Post
    its possible you may have a windows specific chipset in your router.
    or a configuration error.
    This is what I am thinking the error is. Windows

you can check it out easily though
    1st can you network to another computer on your lan?
    Yes. I can ssh into any computer on the lan, and use the web interfaces for my wireless printer and router

2nd can you connect to the web?
    if you can connect to the web your router is working correctly.
    you stated you can connect vpn from another lan, Is the equipment the same?
    Yes, I can connect to the web through my lan. I can even use the supplied windows vpn client to connect to my vpn through the router.

I can also take my laptop, go to a friend's house or my old apartment, connect to their lan, and easily connect to vpn in linux. When I try to do the same on my home network on linux, I get squat. Same settings, same box.

this appears to be a configuration error.
    check your settings carefully on your router
    you can easily do so by opening your browser and typing the routers mac address in the search bar
    I have exhausted my knowledge trying to configure the router. I've opened any port and protocol I've seen mentioned. I've disabled and enabled virtually everything via web interface on my router. I honestly don't much about networking, and I am baffled right now.

I may try to connect my modem to the computer to see if that changes anything. I'll post my results.

Just Joined!
    Okay, I just checked and voila. The vpn connection works excellently when I am not behind my router.

So here is the synapsis :

Linux - vpn works when connected directly to modem
    - vpn does not work when connected behind router

Windows- vpn works when connected behind router

Now I do know on my router there is a pptp passthrough setting. Perhaps the windows client is comminucating with this passthrough 'feature' while my linux box does not recognize it.

Still stumped though. At least I have narrowed it down to the router <---> linux interface.

Still would appreciate help. There's a cup of coffee in it for ya.

Just Joined!

Broke down

Well, I broke down. I'm taking the Pos wrt120n back to wally world and I ordered a wrt54GL from newegg for only 20$ more than the wrt120n cost.

What a joke. Thanks though for your help gnuuser. I'll probably be back with questions about my new router.