Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok here is the situation. There is a server at my house that I store a lot of info on and do most of my work on. Normally, when I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can not ssh into server from work. Any I can do about it?

Ok here is the situation. There is a server at my house that I store a lot of info on and do most of my work on. Normally, when I get online somewhere I ssh into my server and get to work, but all of the sudden, I can't do it from my work place. I have tried changing the port numbers around, but that didn't help. I also can't ping anything when I'm on my work network anymore, I just get a message saying packet filtered. If I connect to a local coffee shop internet, it works just fine and I have full access.

So my question is this, can I do anything about this? If worst comes to worse, I can tether my internet access though my phone, but it is a lot slower than my works internet connection and it really kills my battery.

Any help would be nice, wither that be "Sorry your outa luck" to "try this"

perhaps the network nazis have cracked down and firewalled connections like that
    linux user # 503963

Just Joined!
    Thats what I am fearing, I hoping to find a way around it, but its not working

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Sure sounds like your company has those ports blocked. Which probably means they don't want you to run ssh from the company network. I know my boss wouldn't like it one bit. I'd discuss it with the IT department before doing anything. Get permission first.
    That said, running sshd on port 80 or 8080 will probably solve this issue.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

unless they have deployed an application layer firewall, then it won't matter what port you pick.
    linux user # 503963

Just Joined!
    One of the IT guys said he would look into it. He told me to try and figure it out in the mean time (He is a good friend of mine and he can't ssh into anything either). However; I can't really use ports 80 and 8080. My router tends to intercept port 80 for its web interface and I have squid listening on port 8080.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by scathefire View Post
    unless they have deployed an application layer firewall, then it won't matter what port you pick.
    I don't really get how they could be blocking my connection then , unless they blocked my home ip address, but that is dynamic and changes a lot