Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a usb device that is setup to use a networking interface. When I connect the usb device, ifconfig automatically shows a new interface "usbX", and it has an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

usb/ethernet ip address selection

I have a usb device that is setup to use a networking interface.

When I connect the usb device, ifconfig automatically shows a new interface "usbX", and it has an assigned IP address, e.g. "192.168.X.1" - yes, the "X" is the same number between the address and the interface name.

Each time I connect the usb device, it gets a different ip address...

192.168.9.1, 192.168.10.1, etc (actually the device address ends in .2, the PC is .1)

How do I configure this device to always have the same address? Or maybe it's more accurate to ask, how do I configure linux to always assign the network address with this device?

Thanks.

Well, if I had to do this, I would look into the /etc/network/interfaces file. But as even the interface name changes, this could become a major pain in the arse to configure. Good luck!

Just Joined!
    Maybe you can add a crond script to detect your usb device, When It detect your device is insert , reconfig the ip addr . When the device is removed ,start detect. But
    I think it is not a goodway to do it . ^_^

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close