Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, First post!! Woo Hoo! I am using the smoothwall OS to deal with the firewall side of things on my network, the problem is my brother keeps removing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Firewall Hell!

Hi All,

First post!! Woo Hoo!

I am using the smoothwall OS to deal with the firewall side of things on my network, the problem is my brother keeps removing my ethernet cable from the switch when I am not at home and doesn't plug it back in!!

Is there a way I can create a rule to monitor my PC's static IP address so when for example my PC is uncontactable for more than 5 mins, it will re-direct his IP address's port 80 to an apache web server on the network, obviously until the connection has been restored. It shouldn't affect any other IP address on the system.

Thanks in advance for your help

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, it sounds like he is bypassing the firewall. It would be interesting to see how badly infected his system, assuming he's running Windows.

Anyway, are you asking if your system, which has been disconnected from the network, can redirect his system to an apache web server which is still on the network to keep him from browsing without a firewall present? Or are you asking if you can configure his to do so automatically when your computer with the firewall is not available?

The answer to the latter is "maybe". What operating system is he running?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

Lightbulb Update

No he is not bypassing the firewall, the setup is:

[Internet]
    |
    [cable modem]
    |
    [Smoothwall/Firewall]
    |
    [Network Switch]
    |
    [All PC's]

All he is doing is removing my cable from the network switch so my PC is no longer connected to the network. Apart from super glueing the cable into the switch, I was thinking could we do something where if my PC (which is always on) was to go missing for 5 mins or on DHCP renewal, the internet is all forwarded to an apache webpage to say OI, plug the cable back in but meerly for just his MAC address or IP address.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    So, why is he disconnection your PC from the switch? That's what I don't understand.

Just Joined!
    ok well long story short, I am currently uploading gigs of data to a cloud, all large project files I need to keep backed up off site, its taking awhile to upload but I need to manually change the upload speed when we are all back from work, if I forget to limit the upspeed he disconnects my cable. However he can change the settings if he needs to but he don't bother. So I need to somehow limit the traffic at certain times from port 50234 or when he disconnects my cable, it will prompt him to go to the machine and physically change it and plug my cable back in.

Ah! Ok. Can you put a script on his computer that runs from a cronjob? That could ping your computer and pop up a reminder when your computer is unavailable. That would probably be the simplest thing to do. Or, if you can run some code on the router, that could do it as well. A lot of routers run a Linux OS, so you can do this sort of thing, conceivably.

Just Joined!
    yea smoothwall is a stripped down version of linux. And you can run cron jobs from it. Is there no easy way to limit the flow of traffic through a certain port at certain times using a cron job?

Well, you can redirect it with iptables and the route command. Changing the port speed may be more difficult.

Have you looked into 'tc'? This might be what you are looking for to control network traffic. Here is a LINK with some information on Bandwidth Management.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted