Find the answer to your Linux question:
A few months back I found about the Smoothwall project. A nice firewall/router solution with a great interface. I been running it on a p3 800MHz w/ 512MB RAM with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Do it yourself firewall or smoothwall

A few months back I found about the Smoothwall project. A nice firewall/router solution with a great interface. I been running it on a p3 800MHz w/ 512MB RAM with excellent performance. Well now I think I would like to have a little more control over my firewall/router. What would I gain in term of performance by moving to a bare bones linux install and running iptables? I would also like to use this box to test out things like Smokeping and Icinga which I cannot do on the current Smoothwall setup. I figure once I am not running the Smoothwall web interface that would free up over head for me to run other things.

I am also in it for the "tinkering: aspect; I figure it would be a learning experience to get a router/firewall setup the "hardway".

What do you guys think?

I run smoothwall, it protects my servers and systems on the network in my home. It's easy to set up and means I don't have to be an expert in security configs to be safe.

If you want to give that up, go ahead and build your own firewall. Personally, I wouldn't do it.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

The thing about learning iptables is that when you learn it the way I did, you'll learn an awful lot about networking protocols.