Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm using tripwire to secure some servers (RHEL 4) and it's asked me to add a parameter to deny anonymous access, which is fair enough. However I can't find ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

NFS /etc/exportfs Anonymous Users

Hi,

I'm using tripwire to secure some servers (RHEL 4) and it's asked me to add a parameter to deny anonymous access, which is fair enough.

However I can't find any documentation regarding the value they're recommending (and I don't trust what tripwire suggests as fixes all the time!).

/exported/directory <host>(rw,sync,anonuid=-1)

anonuid, no problem. According to man exports:
    Code:
    anonuid and anongid
                  These options explicitly set the uid and gid of the anonymous account.  This option is primarily useful for PC/NFS clients, where you  might
                  want  all  requests  appear  to be from one user. As an example, consider the export entry for /home/joe in the example section below, which
                  maps all requests to uid 150 (which is supposedly that of user joe).
    No reference to the -1 value to deny anonymous/unknown users. I did find a refernce to a parameter anon=-1 for SunOS though.

Anyone actually know if -1 is a valid value for anonuid on Red Hat Linux?
    RHCE #100-015-395
    Please don't PM me with questions as no reply may offend, that's what the forums are for.

Linux Enthusiast
    The normal default value is 65534 for both anonuid and anongid.

Linux Enthusiast
    Hi alf55,

I don't understand your point, 65534 is a valid uid/gid so how is that going to deny anonymous access?
    RHCE #100-015-395
    Please don't PM me with questions as no reply may offend, that's what the forums are for.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I was actually wondering the same thing... I've seen only one other site that's indicated it to be a lockout value, but nothing official. Hopefully someone can shed more light on this than I can.