Find the answer to your Linux question:
1. Want to share printer via Router (with print server function) 2. Want to share files For all OSs and network map see image. Then tell me how I may ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

How to Share Printer via Router

1. Want to share printer via Router (with print server function)
    2. Want to share files

For all OSs and network map see image.

Then tell me how I may achieve this is such a diverse network.

Please note sharing printer by router is not the same as sharing printer connected to another computer, which 99.9% of CUPS and Samba guides concern themselves with. My router model is DIR-320 or ASUS RTN16 both capable of print server hosting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by lindsey View Post
    1. Want to share printer via Router (with print server function)
    2. Want to share files

For all OSs and network map see image.

Then tell me how I may achieve this is such a diverse network.

Please note sharing printer by router is not the same as sharing printer connected to another computer, which 99.9% of CUPS and Samba guides concern themselves with. My router model is DIR-320 or ASUS RTN16 both capable of print server hosting.
    It should be as simple as going to your routers printers configuration settings page and getting the port number of each printer. Then On the Windows machines adding a standard TCP/IP port with the routers IP address. Then configure the port with the desired port # for the correct printer.

On the linux boxes add thr printers as a remote TCP/IP printer with teh IP address of the router and add the port of the desired port. Then of course pick the correct print driver.

Cheers!
    Tom

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by eTech97 View Post
    It should be as simple as going to your routers printers configuration settings page and getting the port number of each printer. Then On the Windows machines adding a standard TCP/IP port with the routers IP address. Then configure the port with the desired port # for the correct printer.

On the linux boxes add thr printers as a remote TCP/IP printer with teh IP address of the router and add the port of the desired port. Then of course pick the correct print driver.

Cheers!
    Tom

I need step-by-step. This is too advanced for me!

Linux Newbie
    Are any of the Linux machines (eg "My Ancient Desktop") always on (24x7) and connected to the router??
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by blinky View Post
    Are any of the Linux machines (eg "My Ancient Desktop") always on (24x7) and connected to the router??
    no; that's not how i use my computers.