Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I will be getting into some linux kernel programming and network internal. Please tell me which is the best Linux distribution to install on my computers for making drastic ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Linux distribution for drastic changes in TCP/IP stack and features

Hi

I will be getting into some linux kernel programming and network internal.

Please tell me which is the best Linux distribution to install on my computers for making drastic changes to the TCP/IP stack and making new features, and possibly distributed computing?

Drastic changes includes adding new protocols but is much more cut and slice.

If there is no one best distribution for above changes, then tell which is best for which?

If possible, also give justification for any specific Linux distribution.

I have used linux mostly simulations on ns2 network simulator, and haven't used it for much else.

I have only used Red Hat 9 and Fedora 8.

Last, I installed and am using Fedora 8, but have a lot of problems in connectin to the internet and administrative things like sudo. Have to repeat the internet procedure every time.

Thanks

I compile and run a kernel with some custom modifications on Debian GNU/Linux. So I can tell that this distributions doesn't make trouble with self-compiled kernels. And for modifications in the TCP/IP stack you would of course mainly work in kernel space.

As for distributed computing, I have worked with OpenMPI on Debian boxes. So it is up to this job as well.

That said, I don't see why RedHat/Fedora shouldn't be just as fit to the job. It boils down to your personal taste and experience, as always.

Maybe if you really have to change large portions of the system, and not only one or two components, go for a source based distribution like Gentoo.
    Last edited by GNU-Fan; 07-31-2010 at 08:51 AM.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

Just Joined!
    Thanks GNU-Fan

Here is what I plan to do.

Since Debian is largely text based, l plan to wipe out my Win XP and install Ubuntu 10.4 LTS on whole hard disk of 160 GB.

Then I will install WINE, VMware workstation, and install Debian and a second Ubuntu 10.4 LTS on VMs, on the first Ubuntu 10.4 LTS. This way I can do my kernel thing on the Debian and Ubuntu on the VMs so that I can delete them easily since it will become unstable, and leave the first Ubuntu to be the main OS.

Let me know if you have any qualms about this setup, and whether you think I should partition the hard disk. If so, tell me what to put in the partitions.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close