Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have dial-up connection through mobile phone, using pppd. But dns does not work properly. When I ping IP address, it works, but Code: ping google.com or any symbolic host ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Post Dns does not work with ppp

I have dial-up connection through mobile phone, using pppd. But dns does not work properly. When I ping IP address, it works, but
    Code:
    ping google.com
    or any symbolic host name, causes 'unknown host ...' error. How I can make dns work correctly with pppd?

It could be that you are not receiving name server
    addresses from the gateway. Try to find out your
    ISPs name servers, and enter the information manually
    if necessary.

Find the dailup networking file that pppd calls, usually /etc/ppp/peers/dun and add:

Code:
    ms-dns 123.456.678.1
    123.456.678.1 is your DNS Server IP Address

Have a look at the manual for all ppp options

Code:
    man pppd

khf
    Just Joined!

Wink Simplicity

There may also be a simple configuration error if you want to poke into your own ISP's emails, but it is usually just on the outgoing emails (SMTP server).

Most consider their network as a LAN, where the route messages out of their "cloud". Your phone gets it IP address from your operator - say Vodafone, and they will assign an IP address out of their LAN address pool. Then you hit your ISP's email server - that has an external, public IP address, and for security reasons your ISP will refuse access from outside their LAN - and rely on WEB mail.

The answers above are all correct, but ignores this simple observation - that all access to their POP/SMTP has to come from own address pool.

So - I use Gmail - as this is outside, and use WEB access to own ISP. I can respond to emails using Gmail's SMTP, and I can access Gmail using POP with secure connection set-up.

Tell your ISP that POP access requires password authentication, and they should open for POP access, best on a secure link and from a remote address. If they use WEB-mail, they have a log-in procedure here, that they can use. It is no rocket science. It is a security constraint that makes sense, but that needs to have an exception.

Beware that MS firewalls will at times block Google services. So if you use Windows mobile, turn off the firewall.

Linux Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by khf View Post
    There may also be a simple configuration error if you want to poke into your own ISP's emails, but it is usually just on the outgoing emails (SMTP server).

Most consider their network as a LAN, where the route messages out of their "cloud". Your phone gets it IP address from your operator - say Vodafone, and they will assign an IP address out of their LAN address pool. Then you hit your ISP's email server - that has an external, public IP address, and for security reasons your ISP will refuse access from outside their LAN - and rely on WEB mail.

The answers above are all correct, but ignores this simple observation - that all access to their POP/SMTP has to come from own address pool.

So - I use Gmail - as this is outside, and use WEB access to own ISP. I can respond to emails using Gmail's SMTP, and I can access Gmail using POP with secure connection set-up.

Tell your ISP that POP access requires password authentication, and they should open for POP access, best on a secure link and from a remote address. If they use WEB-mail, they have a log-in procedure here, that they can use. It is no rocket science. It is a security constraint that makes sense, but that needs to have an exception.

Beware that MS firewalls will at times block Google services. So if you use Windows mobile, turn off the firewall.
    Not sure that I'm understood well...) I just try to connect PPP from tty, directly configuring pppd. I can connect ISP using kppp, it simply writes two temporary "nameserver" entities to /etc/resolv.conf. But I interested in how kppp uses pppd while receives DNS addresses automatically.