Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, i have an embbeded hardware that uses bootp for booting from a Network Managemnt Host (NMH)on the same ethernet. The embedded hardware has both kind of ports i.e ethernet ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ethernet port connection with an E1/T1 port

Hi,

i have an embbeded hardware that uses bootp for booting from a Network Managemnt Host (NMH)on the same ethernet. The embedded hardware has both kind of ports i.e ethernet as well as E1/T1. I would like ask, what do i require to establish a communication-link between the embedded hardware and the NMH throuh E1/T1 ports of embedded hardware, so as to make it boot through from E1/T1. Further, NMH possesses only ethernet port. Just to refine my questions i'd like to know what additions do i need to do on my NMH , like may be i have to put an E1/T1 port or is it possible that the E1/T1 port can be directly connected to an ethernet port on the other host.

pardon me if i am not making absolute sense here as my knowledge is limited on Layer 1 and layer 2.

RDU
    Just Joined!
    E1/T1 are completely different from Ethernet (It's use for WAN link connection to telco). E1 is 2MB (Europe) and T1 1.5Mbps (USA). So I don't this you can / want to use that slow port to do a local network.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by RDU View Post
    E1/T1 are completely different from Ethernet (It's use for WAN link connection to telco). E1 is 2MB (Europe) and T1 1.5Mbps (USA). So I don't this you can / want to use that slow port to do a local network.
    Ok. i was just wondering if they can be connected ( i.e single link with a cat5 cable) i.e E1 port connected to a ethernet port. expectedly, they can't be.... frames are altogether different.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    T1 connections require a CSU/DSU to communicate from LAN to WAN. I assume that the embedded system's E1/T1 port is a proper B8ZS TI CSU/DSU unit? Assuming it is, and that you can connect to the internet with it (you should have a static IP address assigned by your Telco/ISP for that line), then you should be able to bridge that and your LAN. You do need a local router and firewall, otherwise you are fully open to being pwnd by malware everywhere... Anyway, what does the Telco say about this connection?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    pls visit the "E1 / Ethernet / V.35 : Era Converter Wholesale"

many E1/Ethernet converter can choose.