Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just installed Fedora Core 3 and have been trying to assign the machine a name (hostname?) so I wouldn't have to rely on using it's internal IP for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Assigning Host Name Ineffective and Causing Errors

I have just installed Fedora Core 3 and have been trying to assign the machine a name (hostname?) so I wouldn't have to rely on using it's internal IP for all of my network configurations. I'm on a small network, the machines are inside a modem/firewall/router and a hub. The modem handles DHCP and of course the ISP handles DNS. When I tried to change the hostname (what I understand to be the linux ver. of machine name) I used the command hostname, altered /etc/hosts, and etc/sysconfig/network but I kept recieving errors.

The errors varied from "improper hostname", "unable to resolve hostname", to Samba breaking and the machines being unable to communicate. Could anyone tell me a SAFE, CERTAIN way to change my hostname to something aside from localhost? There is no reason that I cannot assign a host name without a domain is there? Any help and enlightenment is appreciated

Can you just use the 'hostname' command to change it? Also, to what are you trying to change it?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    I tried using the hostname command as well as editing the various files but none of the other computers or network devices registered it as anything aside from "localhost". I tried naming it transposed.

Just Joined!
    I fixed the problem. When I assigned the hostname previously, I assigned it through the terminal, network adapters, /etc/host, and /etc/sysconfig/network as many of the howto's I read sounding like they were inferring to change it through all of them. Perhaps somehow it created an error. This time I simply changed the hostname AND the domainname through the terminal and nothing else and it worked. It's always the obvious things... Now, to get these Samba permissions straightened out