Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have about 5 computers on my network that get their internet connection from a Linux NAT server. 192.168.12.02 is a Linux server that has a NAT set up to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Throttle client connection speed from NAT server

I have about 5 computers on my network that get their internet connection from a Linux NAT server.

192.168.12.02 is a Linux server that has a NAT set up to share the internet connection.
    192.168.12.03 is a download server that is almost always downloading
    192.168.12.05 - 192.168.12.20 is assigned by DHCP to users.

I want to make it so that the download server runs at full speed but is throttled only when someone from the user IP addresses range tries to use the NAT server

I think I’m looking for some way to set the download server’s packets to have a lower priority than the client's packets.

Is there a way to set this in the Linux server?

Thanks

This looks as a normal prioritized queue that can be configured for example in a openwrt router.

openwrt QoS - Google Search

RDU
    Just Joined!
    Whonder shapper script is exactly what you want and can easily be adjusted:
    Wonder Shaper

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the replies.

I have looked at openwrt and Wonder Shaper and I think the Wonder Shaper script is probably a better option for now if it works the way that I think it does and it’s not too difficult to set up.

Again thanks

Well, OpenWRT just includes the wondershaper script. It is a custom router firmware based on linux. There it is called "QoS" and includes a set of scripts that implement the wondershaper functionality and scripts that make the configuration easier.

Just Joined!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Kloschüssel View Post
    Well, OpenWRT just includes the wondershaper script. It is a custom router firmware based on linux. There it is called "QoS" and includes a set of scripts that implement the wondershaper functionality and scripts that make the configuration easier.
    Do you think that wonder shaper is a good idea for what I’m trying to do?
    Also can QoS be run from Debian or does it only run off of OpenWRT?
    I also found fairnat-0.80 that might do what I want it to but still need to read through its config file.