Find the answer to your Linux question:
hii guys, i m using RHEL 5 in my machine, then i installed xen kernel with virtual machine manager, i installed rhel 5 in virtual machine manager also and made ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] Ethernet driver problem

hii guys,

i m using RHEL 5 in my machine, then i installed xen kernel with virtual machine manager, i installed rhel 5 in virtual machine manager also and made tht server, but my client is not detecting my ethernrt driver, so how do i connect to my server, how can i install ethernet driver, plz help

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    XEN as well as other VMMs (virtual machine managers) use virtual ethernet devices for the VM's. You DO NOT need to install a driver in the virtual machine. Many, such as VirtualBox (which I use) allow you to specify which, of several, ethernet virtual devices you want to use. For example, VirtualBox can emulate a 3Com PCnet-FAST III (AM79C973) device, several different Intel PRO-1000 devices, and a paravirtualized network device. I use the PCnet device (100mbps) and it work flawlessly for me. If I needed 1GB virtual devices, then I'd use the Intel PRO-1000 emulators. This is specified in the VM setup tool. I used to use XEN when I first set up my system, and it handled networking in much the same way - I never had a problem with it. I dropped XEN because I could not use the nVidia proprietary video drivers on the host. No such problem with VirtualBox. I need to check out KVM to see how that behaves, but no time recently due to heavy teaching schedule.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

i don't have any prob wid virtual machine, my actual linux OS is not detecting my ethernet card, yesterdy i came to know tht linux don't have driver for my ethernet so i downlaod it frm internet and thn tried to install, but i m unable to install it, it's in the form of executble shell script, when i run shell script it gives error, plz tell me how to instll new driver in ethernet with any alternative way, should i try to edit tht shell script file?? plz help rubberman

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Tell me about your card. Make, model, chip set, is it integrated in the motherboard or is it on a separate card? You should be able to see what it is from the output of the command lspci which should be posted here for us to see. For example, on my CentOS/RHEL 5 workstation, the output from lspci relevant to the ethernet cards is as follows:
    04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 80003ES2LAN Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) (rev 01)
    04:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 80003ES2LAN Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) (rev 01)
    My motherboard has 2 enet ports, as shown.

Unhappy

lspci showing my ethernet info like this:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co. Ltd. RTL8101E PCI Express Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 02)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

whenever i try to compile driver package before install it gives' me compilation error, may be there is Makefile entries problem.., can u tell me stepwise procedure to compile and install it.., in what path should i save my driver package during compilation??

So, what error does the vendor-supplied installation script give when you run it?